Fire shrimp always begging for food

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I go near my tank my fire shrimp will come out begging for food. I feed him a small fish food pellet every day when I feed my clown fish. Do I need to feed him more or something else?.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed my cleaner shrimp a couple pieces of mysis or brine a day. So a small food pellet seems a bit too little unless the shrimp is picking up some leftover food as well.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed my cleaner shrimp a couple pieces of mysis or brine a day. So a small food pellet seems a bit too little unless the shrimp is picking up some leftover food as well.
Ok I’ll look into getting some mysis thanks.

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I directly feed my shrimp twice a week with various things, other than that I let them pick up the scraps after feeding the fish. My shrimp are always doing well and molting regularly with this feeding schedules. They are great scavengers, let them do some work keeping your tank a little cleaner.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might need to give it more pellets at a time. They're scavengers, yes, but they eat mostly discarded food, so they won't get anything to eat unless there's food going uneaten by your other critters.

That said, they do beg a lot, even when fed well.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I directly feed my shrimp twice a week with various things, other than that I let them pick up the scraps after feeding the fish. My shrimp are always doing well and molting regularly with this feeding schedules. They are great scavengers, let them do some work keeping your tank a little cleaner.
It’s just moulted and seems happy otherwise

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need to give it more pellets at a time. They're scavengers, yes, but they eat mostly discarded food, so they won't get anything to eat unless there's food going uneaten by your other critters.

That said, they do beg a lot, even when fed well.
I tried to give it a bigger algae biscuit but it just drops them on the floor lol.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire shrimp and skunk cleaner shrimp always snag bits of whatever I feed the fish, mysis, brine shrimp, flake and LRS fish frenzy. They get very bold when there is food in the water!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed my shrimp. I have a cleaner,fire a couple peppermints in my big tank. They are there for a reason and I don't want them to become freeloaders.lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back