Fire shrimp pair question

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My girlfriend has a 32g biocube with about 30lb Of live rock. We bought a fire shrimp a couple weeks ago and he was very peaceful and content. Four days ago we went to LFS and he told us if we get another fire shrimp they will be more active as a pair and come out more often. We bought another one, and they are not getting along. The new shrimp claimed the others territory and pushed out the old one. They don’t come together often but when they do, they fight quickly and swim off.

my question is: should I return the new fire shrimp to LFS? Is there still a chance they could end up pairing? Thanks.

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think its best to introduce them at once, but in your situation just give them some time to get used to it.

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had read about this also. I don’t remember where exactly but somewhere I had read introducing them at the same time allows them to pair easier. They might pair still. I would keep an eye on them.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They are definitely Doing better now.. One seems to follow the other around but stays at a bit of a distance.. but no fighting which seems to be good.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a second I was initially confused by this but if I have 2 random unsexed either fire shrimp or skunk cleaner shrimp and introduce them at once then they will pair up? Is that true? Do they need target feeding or can I expect them to get what they need from the leftovers?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back