Firefish diet and no longer interested in feedings.

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a spike in amphipod population cause my firefish to no longer need feeding sessions?

Its the only fish in my 15G tank. Very picky eater and only likes coming out with mysis shrimp. Over the last couple of weeks. its been coming out less and less. The times I have caught it, because its so dang timid. It looks fine and not skinny.

During this timeframe. I started to see amphipods on the sandbed. So I'm assuming the population might be at a point that its keeping my firefish fed.

Defiantly interesting at night shining my light and watching all the little critters run around eating the food on the sandbed with the nassarius snails.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide a lot for sure, especially when people are near. If there is a lot of excitement in the room for example like kids running and yelling and dogs barking and high activity area, this will cause it to hide more.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Entirely possible it's getting all its food from the pods, yes. You could always try a 'dither fish'- something bold and outgoing, to show it that the place is safe. Maybe a clown goby, two-spot blenny, or other tiny perching fish. Openly swimming fish are usually better dithers, but you're limited on options in a tank that size.

OP
OP
Dragen Fiend

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide a lot for sure, especially when people are near. If there is a lot of excitement in the room for example like kids running and yelling and dogs barking and high activity area, this will cause it to hide more.
Yea its in a quiet space. I know they hide a lot. Just curious as he was an active eater during feed sessions. Such a shame they are not active swimmers. Such a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
Dragen Fiend

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely possible it's getting all its food from the pods, yes. You could always try a 'dither fish'- something bold and outgoing, to show it that the place is safe. Maybe a clown goby, two-spot blenny, or other tiny perching fish. Openly swimming fish are usually better dithers, but you're limited on options in a tank that size.
Yea I was on the fence because I figured it would be too timid with another fish. But maybe I'll try a yellow clown goby.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are fish that will completely ignore your firefish. Tiny perching fish should do that- they don't tend to care about anything that isn't shaped like them.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back