Firefish Goby Agression Question

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey couple of questions guys about firefish,,,

1. are they hermaphroditic?
2. Do they get along with other goby species (neon gobies?)

I have a pair in my 20 gallon that was living together in the same cave and then randomly a couple days ago one had a nipped fin and was hiding on the other side of the tank. Whenever the big one sees him he’ll chase him back to his hole.
So I guess I’ll have to throw the big one into my 75, only issue is I already have a pair of neon gobies there. Will he bother them since he is bigger or ignore?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I don't think so. Conventional wisdom here is that you want to get a m/f pair or keep them singly. Maybe yours just matured.
2. They are in a different family than most gobies, the dartfish. They arguably shouldn't be called gobies. Shouldn't be a problem to mix.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a pair in my 20 gallon that was living together in the same cave and then randomly a couple days ago one had a nipped fin and was hiding on the other side of the tank. Whenever the big one sees him he’ll chase him back to his hole.
So I guess I’ll have to throw the big one into my 75, only issue is I already have a pair of neon gobies there. Will he bother them since he is bigger or ignore?
I would not expect the firefish goby to bother the neon gobies,especially since they are established in the 75 gallon. Firefish are not true gobies either, they are in the dart fish family. I have 2 green citrin gobies in with my firefish and it is fine.

OP
OP
josh515025

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, just added him looks happy swimming around, they don’t seem to pay attention to each other. only fish that occasionally chases him is my black cap Basslet.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. No. They are gonochoric, i.e. don't change sex once matured. Whether they can change sex before maturation is unknown and of little use since all Firefish you see in stores are well matured.

2. That depends. They can be aggressive to certain species but more likely are the ones that get beaten up by incompatible tank mates. The ones they certainly not get along with are Black Barred Convict/Circus Gobies (Priolepis nocturna), especially if the latter ones are a spawning pair. Mine badly bet up a Purple Firefish.

Dartfish belong to the Gobiidae but are not true gobies.

On how to sex and pair them, see my thread here:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back