Firefish Goby Feeding and Behavior

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a firefish goby yesterday and acclimated him then added him last night. I came to check on my tank this afternoon and I saw him swimming around in the bottom-back of my tank. Then I came to check on it again a bit later and can't find him anywhere. Haven't seen him since. I've read that they dig burrows, but I can't find a burrow. I want to feed him but am worried that he won't come out. Also, I have two clowns and they love the LRS nano reef frenzy that I feed them. Do you think the Goby would eat it as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a firefish goby yesterday and acclimated him then added him last night. I came to check on my tank this afternoon and I saw him swimming around in the bottom-back of my tank. Then I came to check on it again a bit later and can't find him anywhere. Haven't seen him since. I've read that they dig burrows, but I can't find a burrow. I want to feed him but am worried that he won't come out. Also, I have two clowns and they love the LRS nano reef frenzy that I feed them. Do you think the Goby would eat it as well?
Gobies when new hide and feeding usually brings it out.
When you get a chance to see it, assure its not being intimidated by clowns and has tail aggression

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies when new hide and feeding usually brings it out.
When you get a chance to see it, assure its not being intimidated by clowns and has tail aggression
He did come out for a while as I put the food in. He did seem nervous around the clowns and they took all the food. How should I get him food?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He did come out for a while as I put the food in. He did seem nervous around the clowns and they took all the food. How should I get him food?
Take a turkey baster and feed clowns, then squirt a little food towards where the goby is hanging out- It will thank you

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a turkey baster to get it close to him, that's what I did when my helfrichi was getting outcompeted by my other fish when he was first introduced. He now competes with all of them for food (pair of clowns, flameback angelfish, longnose hawk)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish even after acclimation will occasionally disappear for days. They're timid fish. Over time they get more boisterous and dithery though especially with peaceful and free-swimming tankmates. They also don't need to eat very much

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very skittish and quick to hide, so they could even be out but run for cover when you come by. Mine prefer burrows under the rocks in the sand, never building them in the sand alone, and they will stick their head out sometimes, but mostly just entirely under, and they will be some of the first fish to turn in for the night.

They do generally like coming out to eat, so long as they aren't scared by the process (mine take 5-10 mins to come out after running away to hide), and if you're feeding decent sized food, you may even see a lump on the side of them as it works its way through their gut.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish lives in a crack between two rocks at the sand bed with a large bush of codium over one side. I think having a calm hideaway for a firefish makes them happier. It comes out immediately when the pumps go off to eat.

You might try a different pellet than the ones you use for your clowns. My clowns will only eat NLS pellets. Just watch all other pellets fall to the sand, even the premium pellets. The firefish might have more luck feeding if the clowns have a different preferred food.

Still skittish, but their personality comes out after a bit. Seems to like staring at me from its spot (office tank, so right next to me at my desk).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My clowns keep taking the food and scaring away the fish before he can get it. How can I keep them away while I feed the goby?
Darn clowns!!!
If you have an acclimation box, I would isolate them for 10-14 days and allow the goby to get settled in and accustomed to eating without the theft of food. It should calm the clowns down a little

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn clowns!!!
If you have an acclimation box, I would isolate them for 10-14 days and allow the goby to get settled in and accustomed to eating without the theft of food. It should calm the clowns down a little
I don't ): I got him some food today by just dumping the food around wear his hole is, and the clowns took most, but he got some. Do you think he'll get braver and compete more over time?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't ): I got him some food today by just dumping the food around wear his hole is, and the clowns took most, but he got some. Do you think he'll get braver and compete more over time?
They are timid and will succumb to clowns rather than argue with them. You can drop food on right side of tank and drop some for goby on left side. Avoid overfeeding tank to get goby to eat. Depending on size of your tank, you can also cut egg cate for fluorescent lighting as a temporary divider during feeding and remove afterwards to assure goby gets its share.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also field test some different pellets to see if there are any that the clowns don't like, but that your Goby might like. My clowns hate TDO pellets! Spit them right out or repugnantly watch them fall to the sand. My firefish loves them though!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they fill comfortable in the setting, they will come out more. Mine are now almost always out. But yes they dart to their hiding place easily, but come back out. The best to feed them against the clown is to use the turkey baster and alternate the direction of the food, squirt for clowns, squirt for firefish. I am often surprised how they can swallow relatively big chunk of food in such a small mouth.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually new firefish will hide for a couple days (i got a pair and didn’t see one for four days) then the second one came out 2 weeks later
i feed mysis daily and they love it
i wouldn’t worry too much, as long as they have caves & such they should be comfortable (also make sure you have a lid/mesh top so they don’t go carpet surfing)

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can disappear for a long time. If they are not bullied, they will be fine and eventually come out. My pair disappeared for about 6 weeks, I thought them dead, then one day both came out. I have not idea why. They were out before, and are out most of the time now. They eat whatever can fit in their mouth.

Back