Firefish spots - cause for concern?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had to go fallow for a few reasons, one of them being Prazi resistant flukes. Tank was fallow for 9 weeks. Had this firefish ordered from a full QT vendor and was put in my own QT tank annd observed for 8 of those weeks and had 0 issue (was never in the display that was fallow). Firefish was also with 2 clowns (from same vendor - all fish were bought at the same time) Firefish has been fine for months and just have these spots showing up? Flukes or just blemishes? No symptoms of flashing or anything like that. Other fish have no symptoms whatsoever. Both clowns are perfectly fine
IMG_5014.jpeg
IMG_5013.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg
IMG_5009.jpeg
IMG_5011.jpeg
IMG_5010.jpeg

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally this looks like flukes, they start small like that and have an oval shape. Wait a few hours and get pictures again and see if the spots have moved at all in comparison. If the scales around the area begin to fade or discolor then it’s definitely flukes.

I dont know how this species of firefish handles freshwater dips, but a dip for at least 3-4 minutes will help confirm if it is or isnt, and provide temporary relief to the fish. I usually do 5-7 minutes depending on species.

Do the bath in a clear fish bag or a black container with no blemishes, with an airstone, and use a pH buffer if using RO or low pH tap water.
Allow the airstone to aerate the water for 5-10mins prior to the bath, and ensure it stays the same temperature as the tank.

Side note: I’ve found keeping black mollies in my systems has helped me identify disease so much faster, as they have little to no immune system against disease in fresh or saltwater. The matte black coloration of their scales also shows things like flukes much easier, and they’re fine with freshwater dips for an extended period.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally this looks like flukes, they start small like that and have an oval shape. Wait a few hours and get pictures again and see if the spots have moved at all in comparison. If the scales around the area begin to fade or discolor then it’s definitely flukes.

I dont know how this species of firefish handles freshwater dips, but a dip for at least 3-4 minutes will help confirm if it is or isnt, and provide temporary relief to the fish. I usually do 5-7 minutes depending on species.

Do the bath in a clear fish bag or a black container with no blemishes, with an airstone, and use a pH buffer if using RO or low pH tap water.
Allow the airstone to aerate the water for 5-10mins prior to the bath, and ensure it stays the same temperature as the tank.

Side note: I’ve found keeping black mollies in my systems has helped me identify disease so much faster, as they have little to no immune system against disease in fresh or saltwater. The matte black coloration of their scales also shows things like flukes much easier, and they’re fine with freshwater dips for an extended period.
I’m so tired of flukes… 2 rounds of fallow and Prazi and I’m still dealing with this sh**

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump incase anyone else might know more. Only thing that doesn’t make me think flukes is the dots are not consistent the same shape or size

Back