Red/brown spot clownfish appeared overnight - help!

swoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

New reefer here - currently QTing my clowns. Finished 2 week copper tx yesterday and started prazi yesterday night in QT tank.

My female clown this morning had small red/brown round spot on her head - completely new overnight.

My Q is :
Is this just a nip from the other clown?
Is it bacterial?
Could it be early uronema ? (Fingers crossed no)
Could it be a dying fluke?

How would you approach this? Wait and see or treat with an antibacterial?

I’m in Aus so can’t get as many antibiotics as US.

B205D728-5B2D-4960-A21E-02999C51232C.jpeg 0574DAF8-9386-456C-89E7-2BFAFB125E77.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an issue that comes up where clowns get holes like that on their stripes. It doesn’t seem to be fatal, and doesn’t seem to cause issues, but nobody knows what causes it. Generally it can be associated with other stressors.
It happened to my female early on and eventually went away.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on following a proper QT protocol. You have earned my respect... is the fish eating and breathing okay? Clowns can be weird and their behavior traits are all over the place. O have one that likes to look like he's sucking air right at the feeder. This could be considered a sign of trouble, but this one is just weird. I had a Maroon that hosted sand.

OP
OP
S

swoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an issue that comes up where clowns get holes like that on their stripes. It doesn’t seem to be fatal, and doesn’t seem to cause issues, but nobody knows what causes it. Generally it can be associated with other stressors.
It happened to my female early on and eventually went away.
Thanks for your reply. Makes me feel better that your clown didn’t have a bad outcome ! I’ll keep a close eye on her for now :)

OP
OP
S

swoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on following a proper QT protocol. You have earned my respect... is the fish eating and breathing okay? Clowns can be weird and their behavior traits are all over the place. O have one that likes to look like he's sucking air right at the feeder. This could be considered a sign of trouble, but this one is just weird. I had a Maroon that hosted sand.
Thanks for the reply. Yes they both seem happy with no breathing issues and eating loads. Haha yeah clowns definitely do their own thing and are strange haha . Just so weird it appeared overnight - I’ll keep an eye on her to see how it goes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back