Firefish swim bladder disease, help

  • Thread starter Thread starter stevo_87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stevo_87

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2024
Messages
39
Reaction score
19
Location
Nottinghamshire
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I noticed yesterday my firefish wouldn’t leave its tubing where its sleeps and when it did it just lay on the bottom and some times sides ways.

Today has been no better, he’s out the tube but laying on the sand, sometimes from the flow it ends up with its tail in the air then laying on its side again.

Could this be swim bladder disease, any ideas for treating it or is he a soon to sea fish heaven?

he wont eat either I’ve tried target feeding and nothing, I’ve had him about a month prior to yesterday he was happy as wizzing all over the place.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 7.2
Nitrite - 7
Salinity 1024

My water Temp did rocket from 27 upto 29.2 over the last 3 days and i battled to keep it between 28 and 29.2, its now at stable 26.9/27

Thanks in advance
 
Water change of a couple degrees should not be an issue. My experience when fish have a baldder issue and recover is they do not loose their appetite. That your's has lotst it's apptite I gotta think it has another issue that is the primary cause. As I see it you have 3 options. First is leave it and see what happens, second it put it in a hospital tank and try treating with antibiotics (research what's absorbed through the skin) and third is euthanize it using clove oil.

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-base/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanase-aquarium-fish/
 
Water change of a couple degrees should not be an issue. My experience when fish have a baldder issue and recover is they do not loose their appetite. That your's has lotst it's apptite I gotta think it has another issue that is the primary cause. As I see it you have 3 options. First is leave it and see what happens, second it put it in a hospital tank and try treating with antibiotics (research what's absorbed through the skin) and third is euthanize it using clove oil.

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-base/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanase-aquarium-fish/
Thanks for the insight and knowledge. Think im going to see how it plays out and try and feed it again in the morning. I’m fully expecting the worst case scenario
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new