Firefish

BOBBYL58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , I'm not new to the saltwater world but it's been a min . I have a question on one fish in particular, I have added 2 firefish to my tank one has gone into hiding and one will appear . Is this normal for them to hide

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, these fish will find a hole and hide in there almost the entire day...coming out to eat. That's my experience with firefish. Maybe if they are the only fish in the tank, they might be more active and less scared. I see them out and about all the time at fish stores...but then again, they are usually with their own kind and really no where to hide in store tanks.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do tend to hide expecially if there is other fish to scare them. It's also very common for them to jump out of your tank, you should have a cover.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had many types of fire fish. Yes indeed get a lid they will jump. From the ones Ive had they take a bit to get used to their surroundings, but once comfortable with a hole or cave to retreat to if necessary they will be out often. Ive had them with lots of different fish but none that were considered predatory. If they felt threatened they would zip to their cave and a few minutes later be back out, this is a key I think they must have a territory they own and feel safe in once they have that they are quite bold.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shy fish and a very known jumper. I’ll make my lid today and hope to get one in the next few days. I read online that you can only have one per tank? I know that I should have made my lid before adding my clown fish, but it’s gonna be done today.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shy fish and a very known jumper. I’ll make my lid today and hope to get one in the next few days. I read online that you can only have one per tank? I know that I should have made my lid before adding my clown fish, but it’s gonna be done today.
Not necessarily true on the 1 per tank. I had 2 red firefish pair up and also had 2 helfrichi pair up as well. All 4 of these ended up in my 120g and got along fine. By fine actually I should say didnt really interact at all together no aggression no swimming together territories on separate sides of the tank. My purple would not tolerate another firefish or even another type of dart fish at all. He would attack until the other dart was dead or gone nowhere was safe in a standard 125g tank. So Ive had more success keeping them together then issues trying to do so but its a chance youll have to decide if its worth taking.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily true on the 1 per tank. I had 2 red firefish pair up and also had 2 helfrichi pair up as well. All 4 of these ended up in my 120g and got along fine. By fine actually I should say didnt really interact at all together no aggression no swimming together territories on separate sides of the tank. My purple would not tolerate another firefish or even another type of dart fish at all. He would attack until the other dart was dead or gone nowhere was safe in a standard 125g tank. So Ive had more success keeping them together then issues trying to do so but its a chance youll have to decide if its worth taking.
Thanks! I only have a 33 gallon tank and my stocking list is very limited for fish and corals. Helfrichi are really pretty but too expensive for me.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I only have a 33 gallon tank and my stocking list is very limited for fish and corals. Helfrichi are really pretty but too expensive for me.
yeah I really want some again but not sure I want to spend that on them. Ive seen their prices anywhere from $110 to $199 each. I got lucky last time I had them, my lfs ordered them for someone who backed out the day before they arrived. Since they knew I liked darts and was there all the time they asked me if I wanted them for cost, just had to pick them up when they arrived before the bags were open. If they were alive on arrival that is. I said yes and got 2 for $100 just had to qt them myself no big deal.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I really want some again but not sure I want to spend that on them. Ive seen their prices anywhere from $110 to $199 each. I got lucky last time I had them, my lfs ordered them for someone who backed out the day before they arrived. Since they knew I liked darts and was there all the time they asked me if I wanted them for cost, just had to pick them up when they arrived before the bags were open. If they were alive on arrival that is. I said yes and got 2 for $100 just had to qt them myself no big deal.
You’re so lucky! I wish that my lfs had sales on their dart fish sometimes. I’ll put the Helfrichi in my wishlist for way later to not go bankrupt for a fish. Also, the firefish goby is the first saltwater fish that I saw and fell in love with. I even gave it a nick name : the antenae fish! I feel very comfortable with my lfs as they have a lot of experience with fish and corals even if it’s a really tiny store.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re so lucky! I wish that my lfs had sales on their dart fish sometimes. I’ll put the Helfrichi in my wishlist for way later to not go bankrupt for a fish. Also, the firefish goby is the first saltwater fish that I saw and fell in love with. I even gave it a nick name : the antenae fish! I feel very comfortable with my lfs as they have a lot of experience with fish and corals even if it’s a really tiny store.
Helfrichi are really pretty but so are the reds and at $20 to $30 a much easier buy. I've been toying with the idea of getting 5 for my new build wish me luck.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helfrichi are really pretty but so are the reds and at $20 to $30 a much easier buy. I've been toying with the idea of getting 5 for my new build wish me luck.
I would love a purple fish in my 33 gallon tank to have a contrasting colour to my regular clown fish, but yeah, I’ll definitely go with the less expensive one to begin with. I was told by my lfs that dottybacks are really aggressive towards many other fish so not getting that for sure.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a purple fish in my 33 gallon tank to have a contrasting colour to my regular clown fish, but yeah, I’ll definitely go with the less expensive one to begin with. I was told by my lfs that dottybacks are really aggressive towards many other fish so not getting that for sure.
yup dottybacks are jerks. Had an orchid years ago super pretty fish killed most anything that went in the tank, fish, snails, crabs, shrimp.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two are fine together once they get used to the area and find a hole to hide in. Mine stay out all day. They are one of my favorite fish.

Attachments

• IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3617.jpeg
    IMG_3617.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 40

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Royal Gramma... Bright, friendly... Can't go wrong. I have tried fire fish a few times. I probably had six of them (not all together)
I even with a hood... They always vanished. My dog developed this taste for sushi though...

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Royal Gramma... Bright, friendly... Can't go wrong. I have tried fire fish a few times. I probably had six of them (not all together)
I even with a hood... They always vanished. My dog developed this taste for sushi though...
Thanks! I do want a firefish in my tank someday. Don’t worry, my dog would eat smoked salmon for sure!

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish hid 90% of the time for the first 3 or so months. It was a big deal when he was out, such that my 3 year old would come running when he was out: "Spike is out! Spike is out!".

Now he never, ever goes into his old caves. Attached pic of him sleeping out in the open in the corner of the tank.

Attachments

• 20231230_201037.jpg
    20231230_201037.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 36

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish hid 90% of the time for the first 3 or so months. It was a big deal when he was out, such that my 3 year old would come running when he was out: "Spike is out! Spike is out!".

Now he never, ever goes into his old caves. Attached pic of him sleeping out in the open in the corner of the tank.
He’s so cute! I can’t have one now because of a filter problem and the lack of lid, but it’s my dream fish! I love my clown fish though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back