Firing up the Ozone. 2 options

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to start the use of Ozone and I have 2 ways to implement the use. Will be using Apex for control.

Option one. I have an Avast Calcium reactor that I am not using and I was able to get all the Parts from Avast to convert it to the ozone reactor. I really do not have a lot of roofer this and would make the cabinet VERY crowded. This also would take up 4 outlets in an EB832 Feed Pump, Air Pump, Recerc Pump , And Ozone Generator. I have a Aquamaxx Ozone generator so no Air drier needed.

Option 2 I have an extra Aqumaxx FC 120 Skimmer and it is rated for Ozone as my main skimmer Aqua Duo is not rated. Plan would run the Aquamaxx Skimmer with the Aquamaxx Ozone generator. Would only need to use only 2 outlets and I can run this extra skimmer in a open section of the sump.

The Tank is 150 gallons with 30 gallons of water in the sump for a total of about 180 gallons.

will only Run Ozone at night is small increments using Apex and ORP to control and monitor.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Ozone and am happy to see another user. I personally use ozone as a carbon alternative for crystal-clear water. I am not wanting any "sterilization" from the ozone. If this is your goal then running ozone through your skimmer is perfectly sufficient.

I would recommend you do not use an APEX to control the ozone. Try to dial in the generator to where it can run constantly without issue and then put a high-value shut off and an alarm.

It makes me nervous to depend upon a relay and probe working correctly. I have heard too many stories of a probe reading being off or a relay freezing. If you simply use the Apex as a back up then this is a much safer situation.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the reply . The Ozone Generator I have is the Aquamaxx TECH-O3 use 800. It is a lamp that produces the ozone and not corona discharge so no dial to adjust . This one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2017-05-6110u6110.
I would use my apex to run the generator for short period of time at night . and use the ORP Only for override safety control.
This is the extra skimmer I have https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamaxx-fc-120-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html.
If I use this it would only be for the Ozone. Is this doable?

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the extra skimmer I have https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamaxx-fc-120-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html.

Yes.

I am set up like that with a lifereef skimmer - which I also use as a skimmer. I assume you will feed the ozone into the yellow hose via a "T" connector. You will use an air pump to push the air through your generator. Make sure the yellow hose is ozone compatible.

In my case, I used an air pump with a vacuum side - but not the way I thought I would use it. I put a gate valve on the vacuum side and pushed air out the other side of the air pump.. to the generator. By choking down and fine tuning the air supply, I was able to get the correct flow. Too much... and the excess gas will escape from the top of your reactor and probably the generator itself... and stink up your cabinet.

I use an apex to control it and with trial and error in can run continuously for a short period at night without the ORP getting too high. This way... of the ORP monitor fails there will still be no ozone overdose.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

I am set up like that with a lifereef skimmer - which I also use as a skimmer. I assume you will feed the ozone into the yellow hose via a "T" connector. You will use an air pump to push the air through your generator. Make sure the yellow hose is ozone compatible.

In my case, I used an air pump with a vacuum side - but not the way I thought I would use it. I put a gate valve on the vacuum side and pushed air out the other side of the air pump.. to the generator. By choking down and fine tuning the air supply, I was able to get the correct flow. Too much... and the excess gas will escape from the top of your reactor and probably the generator itself... and stink up your cabinet.

I use an apex to control it and with trial and error in can run continuously for a short period at night without the ORP getting too high. This way... of the ORP monitor fails there will still be no ozone overdose.
The skimmer has a separate dedicated port for Ozone on the Venturi and the generator says no air pump required

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best IMO to use at least a small air pump. My pump goes to dryer, to ozone, to injection on air silencer on reef octopus INT3000XP. Controlled by Apex ORP probe for years and no issue keeping 350-375. Ozone or not I still use carbon both in sump and a bag on top of skimmer. Pretty much eliminates all ozone from water or air among other things ozone can't remove.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back