First aptasia

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the frags in my tank today and I just noticed a palythoa frag that has a small aptasia on it. It's my first aptasia (as far as I know) so I want to take care of it quickly. From what I understand I can mix up a thick kalk paste to put on it and then cover it up with paste. I don't have any of the common products to kill them (Joe's Juice, F-aptasia, etc.). Just wanted to make sure there isn't an issue with my way of trying to kill it before doing it.
Also if my plan is okay then is it safe to use JB Waterweld in the tank. I think I've read that it is but just wanted to double check

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it isn't to close to the frag polyp, your plan will be fine. If it is right next to a polyp then the kalk paste may also kill the polyp from overdose. If the frag is removable then you could possibly remove the frag and scrape off the aiptasia, it just depends on where the aiptasia is, whether its on the edge or in the middle of the frag.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it just depends on where the aiptasia is, whether its on the edge or in the middle of the frag.
There is some space between it and the utter chaos polyps. The frag is on a diy frag rack in the tank so I can easily remove it. I've tried to take a picture but it's hard to see anything in the picture.

If I pull the frag out and scrape the aptasia then cover the area with paste that should work? I though scraping it was a bad approach.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some space between it and the utter chaos polyps. The frag is on a diy frag rack in the tank so I can easily remove it. I've tried to take a picture but it's hard to see anything in the picture.

If I pull the frag out and scrape the aptasia then cover the area with paste that should work? I though scraping it was a bad approach.
If you have space then you can place some epoxy over it.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dollar super glue gel works wonders, it smothers them and isn't toxic to your tank unless you go trying this on dozens of them at once i guess it would. no difference from putting fresh cut frags right back into your tank.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is room to cover it. There may be room that I can just break that section of the plug off which I may try first.
That would be even better. The main purpose of all aid's to get rid of the aiptasia, minus berghia, is to smother them.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best approach is to take some wire cutters or something to cut off that piece of rock.

Do *not* smash the aipsatsia. They will ooze jelly and release more aipstasia.

Second best approach cis to first touch the aipstasia so it retracts down to a small size and then enclose over it with epoxy. Make sure it's all sealed up.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best approach is to take some wire cutters or something to cut off that piece of rock.

Do *not* smash the aipsatsia. They will ooze jelly and release more aipstasia.

Second best approach cis to first touch the aipstasia so it retracts down to a small size and then enclose over it with epoxy. Make sure it's all sealed up.
I like this idea to remove that piece of rock carefully....

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea to remove that piece of rock carefully
It's not on my rockwork it's on a frag plug that is on a diy frag rack in my display so I'll be removing it to do anything to it. Its on a frag plug with a few utter chaos polyps. Honestly I probably worry about it too much, with it being easy to get to this probably isn't going to be hard to take care of. I just worry because it's my first time dealing with aptasia and I remember hearing stories about how if you try killing it wrong it can release babies and quickly spread. I'm assuming thats the purpose of encasing it.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The important thing now, with aiptasia in your tank is to now have an absolute zero policy if you see any more. I’d superglue them (well, I have an electric aiptasia zapper, but that’s me), but the real trick to getting rid of them is to not get lazy - you see one, you immediately kill it. No doing it later, no putting it off.
That’s how I’ve gotten rid of them permanently in my tank.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I immediately got rid of the first one and haven't seen any since. It's one of the few pests that I am quick to take care of.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak, keeping a few peppermint shrimp in the tank did the trick for me.

edit: unless you don’t like peppermint shrimp lol. Than you can always manually get rid of them. Mine were getting in spots I could not get to.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak, keeping a few peppermint shrimp in the tank did the trick for me.

edit: unless you don’t like peppermint shrimp lol. Than you can always manually get rid of them. Mine were getting in spots I could not get to.
It happens too often that peppermint shrimp will annoy or eat some lps corals so for me peppermint shrimp would be a last resort if I did have aiptasia

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I've read that there are two different species that often get sold as peppermint shrimp that look the same and one will potentially eat corals.
The three I have in my tank leave my coral alone. Literally walk around the coral. Except the one that likes to hang out under the willow upside down lol. I will look into the peppermint shrimp eating coral for sure.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back