First build! Will update!

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we have a new reef build, my first ever. Can't wait to see it evolve over time!

Tank: 40gal tall
Filter: Tidal 55 HOB for now (Penn Plax Cascade 700 in transit)
Powerhead(s): 1 Jebao SW4, 1 Jebao SCP-70M (in transit, not in tank currently)
Substrate: ~20 lbs CaribSea Life Rock, 20 lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand
Lighting: AI Blade Grow 30" (In transit)
Fish: Pair of Clowns coming in Thursday to get cycled.

Still a ways away from adding coral, but I've picked a few starters thus far including GSP and a couple Zoas to get me going. My plan is to get these to take off, then upgrade lighting for some more advanced species once I've got a better idea what I'm doing. Longer term I'm looking to add various LPS and SPS more toward the center of the tank, and possibly a BTA for the Clownies. I will also be adding various utilitarian fish to keep biodiversity high.

Hope everyone enjoys, and I'll post more pics as we go!

Note: This picture was taken roughly 4 hrs after sand had been added, and I used the basic hood light that came with the tank for the picture as the room is rather dark. Light is not on, only for the photo.
20230115_122454.jpg

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Can’t wait to see how your build comes along especially with that AI Blade. I personally love the SCP series, I think you will too honestly it’s a cool little guy.

just remember zoas and GSP especially can take off with your tank lol

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank, can't wait to see how it gets built up. Any plans for CUC or starting fish?
Pair of Clowns to start, Ocellaris or Wyoming White depending on what the LFS has on Wednesday. I'm thinking Six-Line Wrasse or similar as a cleaning crew. Still compiling research there, but Palmetto Reef (my LFS) has been AMAZING thus far.

pr_diver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of Clowns to start, Ocellaris or Wyoming White depending on what the LFS has on Wednesday. I'm thinking Six-Line Wrasse or similar as a cleaning crew. Still compiling research there, but Palmetto Reef (my LFS) has been AMAZING thus far.
Excited for you let us know if you need any help or information. Wouldn't have the tanks I have with out R2R

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230119_194703.jpg

Update!!! Got my AI Blade in, turned it on for a quick second to test and it is AWESOME! After this pic, did a bit of cord maintenance to clean it up, and fixed the bare spot in the front left corner where my powerhead had swept sand away. After adding the second Powerhead (on left side of tank) I now have a nice series of currents with only one "dead" spot, that's under the primary archway. It does still get a bit of flow but I'm ok with that once I get the proper CuC to deal with it.

Next is to get my backdrop in place. I spaced it and forgot to paint before setting up, even after buying materials to do so *facepalm*. So what I'll be doing is taking a piece of black particle board and a few strips of black velcro or command strips and slapping that on there. Still want to do more cord maintenance to really make it sleek. All in good time.

Still a long way to go, but we're making progress!

Yes, I turned off the lights after the pic lol

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusted Flow, some cord maintenance and we are fully cycled! Params have stayed steady through the week and I'll be adding some hardy pieces over the weekend. GSP, Zoas (on that small island to the left.) and possibly a leather or shroom. Going to slide the main rock structure a litte to the right and give that Zoa island a bit more clearance so that they don't try to take over. Nixed the idea of black particle board backdrop in favor of back wall GSP and branching GSP. LFS has some nice pieces and pitched the idea of mixing in the branching GSP in with the neon green on back wall and I kinda like that idea. We'll see how it goes.

Until next update!

Footnote: Two clowns in tank, first little guy had an unfortunate encounter with a powerhead, have since replaced with the little white Ocellaris. Same clutch so should do well together. So far everyone is eating and happy!
20230125_194554.jpg
20230125_194501.jpg

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a journey so far. Brand new AI Blade blew a diode. Had to scramble for backup lighting, luckily my LFS and local club are amazing folks! AI is replacing the light, but they aren't getting in any hurry to do so. Light blew the very day I bought and introduced the first corals. Go figure.

Went with the typical starter kit. GSP, couple of Zoas (I'm absolutely IN LOVE with the Utter Chaos) and a Fireworks Clove Polyp. Picking up a toadstool and possibly Ricordea this weekend. Parameters have remained stable throughout and the fish (added a Diamond Goby as well!) and corals seem happy so far. On to the next chapter in my reefing journey!
20230201_220447.jpg
20230201_220521.jpg
20230201_220528.jpg
20230201_220601.jpg

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been about a week since my last update. I've added a bit! ATO is on and functioning. Calc was just barely within acceptable range so I've been slowly adding 2-3ml a day to bring it up. New additions: 2 Favia, Blasto, Royal Gramma and just dropped the Hammer in about an hour ago! Everyone still happy and looking healthy. The Zoa colony seems agitated, could be that my phosphates are a bit on the high side. Been feeding a little less as I've noticed they were high. They have come down a little so I'll keep doing what I'm doing unless I notice some drastic change. Adding a Toadstool and then I'm going to let everything grow a bit before adding any other corals for awhile. I will be adding a long nose hawkfish and a few more CuC members. So far so good! Hope you all enjoy!

Photos taken with orange filter and macro lens under 100% blue 5% white. Still waiting on my replacement from AI. 30" Orbit Marine IC pro & 12" Reefbrite blue seem to be doing ok until then.
20230208_194441.jpg
20230208_194451.jpg
20230208_194455.jpg
20230208_194500.jpg
20230208_194504.jpg
20230208_194515.jpg
20230208_194519.jpg
20230208_194524.jpg
20230208_194533.jpg
20230208_194539.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back