First coral

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've just about got my lighting set up. Flow is good, parameters are good. 75 gallon tank, looking to upgrade from a cannister to a sump. I've got 3 skunk cleaners, 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 firefish gobies, 1 Royal gramma, 1 bengai cardinal, 1 feather duster worm, a tomini tang, and some snails and hermit crabs. Looking for a relatively easy going first coral. Thinking a feather gorgonian or possibly a finger leather. Trying to avoid mushrooms and other corals that will grow huge or take over large areas of my tank like star polyps. Also looking to eventally get into LPS and maybe an SPS at some point if both of those go well (probably Monti's or acros)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sinularias, gorgs, toadstools, and zoas are all good hardy starters that arent invasive.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got lighting pretty much squared away (low-med) its highest par rating is about 125 and most of the tank is between 60-100. So id say I can handle low light corals especially since I'm already looking at new lights with higher intensity and I can use these ones as acclimation lighting effectively. However I'm having a few issues I'm addressing and want to know your opinions on proceeding. I'm noticing a touch of red cyano that I'm going to deal with in the next 24 hours. If I can't get a handle on it I'll use some chemi clean I have lying around. I've got some green hair that I'm dealing with (cut the lights down and added phosguard to my filter) as well as a bad diatoms outbreak I'm dealing with the same way. Would all of that just over take my new corals and give me more problems than it's worth?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is going to grow stuff. For red cyano cut your white lights down and siphon it out. For green stuff get some critter to eat it. Diatoms will go away as soon as it uses are the sicila is used up out of the sand.
No need to worry

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could go ahead and get a coral and put it in there without issue? If the cyano gets away from me how much trouble will it cause if it grows on the coral? Could I just smack it off with a turkey baster and the coral would be fine?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back