First Corals to Purchase - Thoughts?

pjdiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will pass on the GSP and Galaxea. I'll grab may a couple of Zoanthid and maybe a Euyphyllia.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display will be an LPS dominated tank. I currently haven't started stocking corals yet, but I will tell you one thing. I am running a 24 inch Photon V2 approximately 8 inches above the water level and these are pretty powerful lights! My tank is about 21 inches deep. So from the bottom of fixture to the shallow sand bed its about 29 inches. I invested in an Apogee Mq-510 Par meter. I tested various places around the tank with channels 1 and 2 at 15%.. Channel 4 at 20%. Channels 3,5,6 at 30%..

I am getting Par levels of about 110 on the bottom of the sand bed directly under the light. So roughy 29 inches below the fixture.These settings are at peak intensity and they ramp down from there. What amazed me is the difference going just a few inches towards the outer perimeter of the tank in any direction. This caused Par levels to drop pretty quickly. Looking at it by eye is very deceiving. What's looks like the same "brightness" isn't really. Right at water level and your looking at 250-300 Par and this is just at 30%!!!

And that's about 8 inches below the light. I could certainly understand how one might bleach a coral or two, especially if you had these lights cranked up. I've heard of some Reef clubs loaning or renting Par meters for a small fee if you really want to map out intensities around the tank! It's not a must, but sure does give you a good idea where you stand!

Last edited:

ReefAddict16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of buying cheap coral. Just invest in coral that you really like and grow them out. I’d reccomend buying them from the livestock section of this forum.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are your first corals start with Softies like Zoanthids and Mushrooms.

They are Easier to Keep.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy and trade a lot on my local forum, prices are about half and I am getting tank raised corals which I have much better luck with. Also I can see what I am getting. But to your actual question, I have GSP growing on a tank wall and on a isolated rock, they can take over a tank but only if you let them. I also have a Galaxea, which is 1 of my favorite corals but it does have a powerful sting. Montipora are a good choice for a sps starter and can tolerate changes better than most sps. Torches and frogspawn also add movement to the tank but are pretty tuff. I would also throw it a trachyphyllia just because they are pretty cool.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a green Elkhorn Montipora in my icon image. IMO most Monti's are great SPS for beginning since they are extremely hardy and easy to care for. That one is more than 25 years old, and has survived several tank disasters. Montipora Capricornus are also quite easy to keep and usually very fast growing. I'd avoid any polyps or colony corals for now, although some zoanthids may be OK if you keep them isolated on their own rocks. Colony corals like star polyps, mushrooms, Xenias and the like can very easily get out of control and take over a tank. Ricordias are somewhat of an exception, as they generally grow and multiply more slowly. Caulastrea (and actually, most LPS) are generally hardy corals, and most do well under lower light conditions on or near the bottom of your tank.
I'm not a softy fan, but many people start out with them. I was never able to keep them long term.
I agree with the OP's intent of starting out with 4-6 carefully chosen, non-aggressive specimens. Place them appropriately, give them plenty of space and see what happens.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always get what you like and don't settle for what people call "starter corals. Learn everything you can about caring for the corals you like, and do it.
As others have said be careful of the galaxea, the stinging tentacles extend very far and this coral will need a wide berth. And yes gsp can be a real mess, it will cover everything it touches, but it can be used to create very interesting displays. This is a shot of my lion's reef and the gsp covers a stand alone rock structure with a cave for hanging, really cool. It grows up the back and across the substrate, I cut it so it doesn't touch anything I don't want it to spread on.

003.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back