First corals tomorrow, need advice!

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my first corals come in tomorrow. I was wondering what the beat process is before putting in the tank.

I have coral RX.

My current parameters after testing today:
Ph - 8.4 (ph meter)
Phosphate - sub .25 (api) most likely .15ish
Kh - 8.3 (salifert)
Nitrate - 15 (salifert)
Calcium - 450 (salifert)

I have 3 alveopora, 2 ricordea Florida, and 2 rock flower anemones coming. A local fellow reefer is also gifting me 2 acropora (which I'm hoping to not kill).

I have red sea ab+, reef roids, Brine Shrimp, and phytoplankton culturing.

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. I can watch videos but getting advice from people is sometimes more helpful.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dip the rock flower anemones. Dip and dunk the rest, ie: 8min or so in CoralRX, inspect - then straight into the tank. You don't really have to worry about acclimation so much with corals.
Thanks for the advice! Good reminder on the anemone. I had read that already, but not bad to be reminded.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it easy with the reef roids. That’ll spike your phosphates if you’re not careful.
Don't plan on feeding it that often. Mostly plan on using ab+ and the phyto. My phosphates are already a bit high so only plan on dosing reef roids before I do a water change.

EagleEye121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running? If nothing too powerful I wouldn’t worry too much. Just start them on the sandbed/lower third and slowly move to their final spots over the course of a couple weeks.

good luck!

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it slowly over a week. 25% to start, then up a bit every day until the desired strength is reached. Always watching reactions. You kind of have to feel it and just make sure everyone is happy. Might have to move some to different spots if they don't seem happy. Flow/lighting are huge for individual coral health so you have to find the spots they like the most or will at least tolerate. Kind of depends on your lighting tho as well. Sandbed to start is always great for a few days at least no matter the coral

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting are you running? If nothing too powerful I wouldn’t worry too much. Just start them on the sandbed/lower third and slowly move to their final spots over the course of a couple weeks.

good luck!
Nicrew hyperreef light. Highest blue setting I have set is 40%.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of lighting did they come from? Don't think you'd have to worry about light acclimation if they had them under decent lights. Check and see what kind of lighting is over their tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back