First fish (not clowns) post-cycle. Suggestions?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong but people typically add clowns to their tank after cycling (if doing a fishless cycle) because they are very hardy, right?

I’m setting up a new 6’ mixed reef in a few weeks and I don’t plan to have clowns. Not a fan of how aggressive they can become.

What are other “first post-cycle” fish options?

Would a Royal Gramma be a good option? What about a Falco Hawkfish? Melanurus wrasse? I ask because these are some of the fish in my 65g that will eventually be moved to the big tank.

Other suggestions/recommendations?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no such thing as a "test" fish. If a tank is cycled, it's cycled, and -- with the exception of something like a mandarin goby -- maturity isn't required. Add quarantined fish that you want in your new build, and just make sure that you have created the appropriate environment for your new inhabitant.

That being said, there's lots of suggestions on stocking orders for certain combinations of fish. How about posting your proposed stocking list?

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong but people typically add clowns to their tank after cycling (if doing a fishless cycle) because they are very hardy, right?

I’m setting up a new 6’ mixed reef in a few weeks and I don’t plan to have clowns. Not a fan of how aggressive they can become.

What are other “first post-cycle” fish options?

Would a Royal Gramma be a good option? What about a Falco Hawkfish? Melanurus wrasse? I ask because these are some of the fish in my 65g that will eventually be moved to the big tank.

Other suggestions/recommendations?
Springer damse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what David’s mentioned and post a list of fish you’d like to have.

I’m a huge fan of wrasses so I’d personally go for a Fairy or Flasher Wrasse and depending on the bank I’d try find a Cirrhilabrus roseafascia or Paracheilinus attenuatus. Or I’d try and get both of those species in the tank as a couple show piece wrasses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back