First fish (not clowns) post-cycle. Suggestions?

beesnreefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
1,215
Location
Firestone
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong but people typically add clowns to their tank after cycling (if doing a fishless cycle) because they are very hardy, right?

I’m setting up a new 6’ mixed reef in a few weeks and I don’t plan to have clowns. Not a fan of how aggressive they can become.

What are other “first post-cycle” fish options?

Would a Royal Gramma be a good option? What about a Falco Hawkfish? Melanurus wrasse? I ask because these are some of the fish in my 65g that will eventually be moved to the big tank.

Other suggestions/recommendations?
 
There's really no such thing as a "test" fish. If a tank is cycled, it's cycled, and -- with the exception of something like a mandarin goby -- maturity isn't required. Add quarantined fish that you want in your new build, and just make sure that you have created the appropriate environment for your new inhabitant.

That being said, there's lots of suggestions on stocking orders for certain combinations of fish. How about posting your proposed stocking list?
 
Correct me if I’m wrong but people typically add clowns to their tank after cycling (if doing a fishless cycle) because they are very hardy, right?

I’m setting up a new 6’ mixed reef in a few weeks and I don’t plan to have clowns. Not a fan of how aggressive they can become.

What are other “first post-cycle” fish options?

Would a Royal Gramma be a good option? What about a Falco Hawkfish? Melanurus wrasse? I ask because these are some of the fish in my 65g that will eventually be moved to the big tank.

Other suggestions/recommendations?
Springer damse
 
I agree with what David’s mentioned and post a list of fish you’d like to have.

I’m a huge fan of wrasses so I’d personally go for a Fairy or Flasher Wrasse and depending on the bank I’d try find a Cirrhilabrus roseafascia or Paracheilinus attenuatus. Or I’d try and get both of those species in the tank as a couple show piece wrasses.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new