First ICP - Results

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A week ago I sent in my first ever ICP test on my tank that’s been running 4 months now.

Had SPS and all bleached about 3-4 weeks ago. SHORTLY AFTER MY POLYB MEDIC TREATMENT but I also added the blades at 50% immediately so that peaked the PAR. Not sure if that was the cause

PROBLEM PARAMETERS:
Magnesium 1197ppm
Vanadium 5.037
Strontium 4.733 ppm
Chromium 0
Iron 0
Manganese 0
Nickel 0
Zinc 7.617

Use redsea blue bucket, 10%-20% biweekly
water changes

RODI 5 stage water station and only get 200-230tds from outdoor tap so the water is pretty clean at the start

Dose Kalk ab 850-1250ml daily depending on the consumption.

Feed PE mysis, Mysis Feast, frozen mysis cubes, algae sheets. Sometimes selcon & vitamins

Current parameters

7.5dkh
400 Calcium
1.026 salinity
.1 phos
15 nitrate

IMG_6861.png

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been any number of things. Could have vibrio, could of had a big swing overnight, anything. I would however get that mag up over 1300. Mag is like the peacekeeper for alk and calc. When it's low, alk can swing without a heartbeat. I wouldn't worry about your traces for another 4 to 6 months, the big 3 take priority before dialing in colors.
No offense, but this is why most people wait a good 6 to 8mo before adding acros. After that the tank is usually pretty stable.
Just curious, but what's your ph? Been asking a lot of people to see where they are keeping it and with all the kalk you're running I'm really curious to see what yours is at.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could have been any number of things. Could have vibrio, could of had a big swing overnight, anything. I would however get that mag up over 1300. Mag is like the peacekeeper for alk and calc. When it's low, alk can swing without a heartbeat. I wouldn't worry about your traces for another 4 to 6 months, the big 3 take priority before dialing in colors.
No offense, but this is why most people wait a good 6 to 8mo before adding acros. After that the tank is usually pretty stable.
Just curious, but what's your ph? Been asking a lot of people to see where they are keeping it and with all the kalk you're running I'm really curious to see what yours is at.

I gotcha , I’ll raise the mag then, wasn’t aware of its relation to the others
Thank you

With the skimmer and co2 scrubber I get 8.0-8.15

Kalk raises it to 8.3-8.4

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the money zone for sure! Id imagine some sort of swing may have happened. Dosing kalk is awesome but when starting ive been told it can swing alk and calcium for the first couple weeks to a month then itll settle out. But idk how true that is as i havent personally done it yet. About to start my kalk journey this weekend.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be wary of assuming any of the values you post are the true SPS problem as opposed to ICP induced fever dreams.

Can you post the whole test set?

Which company ran it?

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be wary of assuming any of the values you post are the true SPS problem as opposed to ICP induced fever dreams.

Can you post the whole test set?

Which company ran it?

ICP analysis

Attachments

• IMG_6869.jpeg
    IMG_6869.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6870.jpeg
    IMG_6870.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 36

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the values are taken as accurate (I'm not a fan of this company), then the salinity is lower than you report, and raising it will raise magnesium.

i personally do not think any of the yellow labeled elements is causing the coral issues.

Dosing iron and manganese is a fine plan, but one need not detect them to have plenty. They rapidly deplete.

I'd look for issues aside from these chemistry issues. Lighting, flow, problem fish or other creature irritating corals, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back