First ICP results

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the results of my first ICP test. Anything other than salinity stand out? I've corrected the salinity already. The sample was taken 2 days post water change. Apparently my phosphate reagents are bad as it's telling me I'm at .11 phosphates and ICP shows much lower.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got the results of my first ICP test. Anything other than salinity stand out? I've corrected the salinity already. The sample was taken 2 days post water change. Apparently my phosphate reagents are bad as it's telling me I'm at .11 phosphates and ICP shows much lower.

Part of it could be related to the accuracy of your phosphate test - and the ICP phosphate test. Do you know what these are? it is my impression that an ICP test does not measure 'phosphate' - but phosphorous'. They measure phosphate using a chemical test (not ICP) - just like an ICP test cannot measure alkalinity (they use a chemical test).

OP
OP
reefinnewb

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, been out of pocket. On my results page it shows it tests phosphate and phosphorous. Not sure if the link worked for you or not. I have it set as public.

My Hanna phosphate test shows .11 consistently. Also, ICP is showing that many of my trace elements are either depleted or undetectable by ICP. I do a 10% water change a week with Reef Crystals. Wondering if I should start dosing a trace element supplement(s). Was looking at the red sea colors program. I like the Reef Moonshiners method but with only 60ish gallons of water volume, my dosing amounts would be super small.

It's a mixed reef with probably about half being SPS. I've had slow growth with everything. Par over the tank is 350 at the top to 125ish at the sand bed. I think the only two things growing like gangbusters is the GSP and Duncans.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back