Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7731.JPG
IMG_7732.JPG
Setting up a 20g long which will be divided in 2 sections to hold breeding fish. I think the divider will be solid black acrylic. This tank will have a 10g sump. I want this very basic but have no clue what I'm doing. Here is what I was thinking. No idea if it will work or not. Please help me with any input. Simple overflow strainer disc and return nozzle?

Edit : going to use a slotted divider and a single overflow on one end and return on the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7733.jpg

Could I get away with overflow on one end and return on the other using a slotted divider like this? Tank will be bare bottom and just flower pot in each side.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it would work just fine.
I would make a suggestion though. Drill holes in the partition to allow water flow between the two chambers. If for whatever reason either side drain or return were to become clogged, holes in the partition would prevent an overflow.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. If anything, you could control the return side to match the available volume of your overflow with a gate valve. Gate valves are much easier to use than a ball valve.
Or... Get aa DC return with flow controllability to be able to dial it to your specific needs.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return on one side and overflow on the other? Would make it even less plumbing which I would prefer.
If you go to any aquarium store and see the large tank walls that are all built together out of acrylic, with several individual "tanks", that is how they run.
They are usually plumbed on each level, or sometimes top corner to bottom corner, with water flowing through divider walls.
Should work just fine.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure it would work. Might go over the back with pipes still. Not sure I trust drilling it myself....or I may give it a go, 20l isn't too expensive if I have to replace

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size hole should I drill for the overflow and return bulkheads? Any recommendation on a bulkhead, threaded or not? The overflow dimensions are 6.25l x 1.75d x 5.25h
Says it's for 700gph
The pump is a Sicce 714gph. The plumbing will go to a sump with this kit
IMG_7756.jpg

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any input on the plumbing for this? Trying to do it simple since I have no idea on what size holes and pvc to use for this. Thanks!

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but you might want to think about using something like a herbie or a durso drain to cut back on the noise. I think a lot of people choose 1" for the drains and 3/4 on the returns with that size tank. You want to have less return capacity then drain capacity to lower the chance of overflowing.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back