OP
OP
PP Reefing

PP Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the warm welcome and inspiring comments.

A little more info on the tank in the pictures. Pictures and details of the Waterbox will come at a later time...

- As already mentioned, it is an Innovative Marine Fusion Peninsula 20.
- I built the aquascape out of RealReef rock, over the course of a couple of weeks on my living room table before I was satisfied. The tank is quite narrow, and leaving room on both the long sides took some planning and several tries.
- The stand is custom built, purposely low in height so that I am able to enjoy the tank while sitting in my chair next to it.
- Return pump is Tunze Silence 1073.008 (one of few that fits the return chamber).
- Heater is AquaEl 50W (similar to the Cobalt flat plastic heaters you get in the US).
- Skimmer is the IM Nuvoskim DC Desktop skimmer (with DIY level switch going to the Apex).
- Reactor (currently running carbon) is the IM MiniMax Pro Desktop reactor.
- Powerheads are 2 pcs AI Nero 3's.
- Lights are 2 pcs AI Prime 16HD's, running pretty close to the BRS recommended settings (just added setpoints with more blue for sunrise and sunset).
- Dosing of Tropic Marin AllForReef is done by D-D P1 doser (the same as the Kamoer X1 doser).
- ATO by Tunze Osmolator 3155.
- And an Apex 2016 with 2 pcs EB6's that came from my previous Red Sea Reefer 525XL that monitors pH, salinity, and temperature, and controls some based on inputs...

I'm using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt which I buffer up with Tropic Marin Liquid Buffer until I get 8,5 dKH at 1.026 s.g.

I'm quite happy with the tank, the corals have started taking off the last month or so as all parameters have started stabilizing properly.
pH fluctuates from 8,1 at night/morning to 8,4 just as the lights start ramping down.
KH is stable at around 8,5 to 9 dKH (typically measuring with Hanna checker in the afternoon, 2-3 times per week).

If anyone should have them, I'm happy to answer questions and reflect on comments. :)

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Tanks look great. I have been looking at the TM allfor1 but have not been sold on it yet. Heard mixed reviews, but looks like it is working. I may grab another X1 myself and try it out.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, nice to meet you all here.

I've been a member of Reef2Reef for 5 years, but never posted anything here.
Phasing out Social Medias now (thank Neptune), I thought I would participate more on this forum.

No long introduction, just that I've been keeping reef tanks since 2013, currently on my tanks 3 and 4 now.

Tank 3 is a IM Fusion Peninsula 20, started up September 2020 (a few "todays mood" pictures below).
Tank 4 is a Waterbox AIO 50.3, filled with water a month ago, lights on 2 weeks ago, so is now a brown mess. This will be a low-tech softie tank, hopefully being able to run without too much interaction from me, just enjoying the corals and fish.

Peninsula 20 a couple of hours after the weekly water change:

20210501_133608.jpg

20210501_133234.jpg

20210501_133544.jpg
Nice to finally meet you shadow master.
1619924824441.gif

OP
OP
PP Reefing

PP Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Tanks look great. I have been looking at the TM allfor1 but have not been sold on it yet. Heard mixed reviews, but looks like it is working. I may grab another X1 myself and try it out.
Thanks. :)

On this tank I started out with dosing kalkwasser (Brightwell Kalk+2). I dosed using the same D-D doser, not by adding kalkwasser to my ATO.
But the KH didn't reach the levels I wanted before the pH went up to like 8,6 to 8,7. And I wasn't comfortable with that.
So I changed to Tropic Marin All-For-Reef, and those parameters slowly stabilized. And it also keeps Calcium at 440 (Red Sea test kit) and Magnesium at 1380 (Aquaforest test kit). There are of course fluctuations, but those numbers are the average.
The parameters are stable, and the tank looks better and better for every day that passes.
So I will keep using these products.
Because of the small water volume in this tank, the higher cost of the Tropic Marin products isn't really a concern.

OP
OP
PP Reefing

PP Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about the local fish stores in Norway.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you for the welcome. :)

Reefing isn't huge in Norway, but we do have some decent LFS's. Most are located in the Southern part (the most populated part of the country).

- My go-to local-local ;Joyful store is in Oslo, an hours drive away. They have a great selection of fish and corals, a good amount of dry-goods, and some equipment on stock. And maybe most important, a huge amount of experience and knowledge.
- When I buy online (because everybody does do that), I buy from a local fish store far South (about 8 hours drive away), but they have an impressive webshop. And they are very active on social medias motivating both new reefers, and experienced reefers who may have hit a bump in the road and ready to throw in the towel. They don't have a huge amount of live stock at the moment, but I believe they are working on that... I foresee a drive there this summer if Covid restrictions loosen up.
- The third LFS I can think of is in the far West, also an 8 hours drive over a mountain etc. They seem to concentrate on coral frags more than anything, and they have more or less every AquaForest product that is on the market on stock. All of my SPS's in the pictures of this tank are from this store, ordered online, shipped overnight.

You also have the online-concentrated stores that have the most basic dry-goods and equipment, and can order anything else. But they don't really have any live stock other than your standard Ocellaris clowns and Trochus snails to get your tank started...

Some shopping malls have a pet store with a salt water section, but as the staff has to have basic knowledge of everything from Guinea Pigs to Great Danes, reefing experience is not always the greatest. Not saying that they don't have employees that are reefers themselves, but they have their shifts. And if you miss their shift, there is a lot of messaging and calling involved...

And of course hobbyists that have specialized in Zoas, for example, selling frags out of their basements etc...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the welcome. :)

Reefing isn't huge in Norway, but we do have some decent LFS's. Most are located in the Southern part (the most populated part of the country).

- My go-to local-local ;Joyful store is in Oslo, an hours drive away. They have a great selection of fish and corals, a good amount of dry-goods, and some equipment on stock. And maybe most important, a huge amount of experience and knowledge.
- When I buy online (because everybody does do that), I buy from a local fish store far South (about 8 hours drive away), but they have an impressive webshop. And they are very active on social medias motivating both new reefers, and experienced reefers who may have hit a bump in the road and ready to throw in the towel. They don't have a huge amount of live stock at the moment, but I believe they are working on that... I foresee a drive there this summer if Covid restrictions loosen up.
- The third LFS I can think of is in the far West, also an 8 hours drive over a mountain etc. They seem to concentrate on coral frags more than anything, and they have more or less every AquaForest product that is on the market on stock. All of my SPS's in the pictures of this tank are from this store, ordered online, shipped overnight.

You also have the online-concentrated stores that have the most basic dry-goods and equipment, and can order anything else. But they don't really have any live stock other than your standard Ocellaris clowns and Trochus snails to get your tank started...

Some shopping malls have a pet store with a salt water section, but as the staff has to have basic knowledge of everything from Guinea Pigs to Great Danes, reefing experience is not always the greatest. Not saying that they don't have employees that are reefers themselves, but they have their shifts. And if you miss their shift, there is a lot of messaging and calling involved...

And of course hobbyists that have specialized in Zoas, for example, selling frags out of their basements etc...
Interesting situation. Thanks for the description of your reefing community there in Norway.

I am fortunate to live in an area that has more local opportunities for reefing purposes. I used to live in the northern part of this state and that was similar to where you are. This site allows us all to share with each other our thoughts and questions. Glad you are here!
Kris

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, nice to meet you all here.

I've been a member of Reef2Reef for 5 years, but never posted anything here.
Phasing out Social Medias now (thank Neptune), I thought I would participate more on this forum.

No long introduction, just that I've been keeping reef tanks since 2013, currently on my tanks 3 and 4 now.

Tank 3 is a IM Fusion Peninsula 20, started up September 2020 (a few "todays mood" pictures below).
Tank 4 is a Waterbox AIO 50.3, filled with water a month ago, lights on 2 weeks ago, so is now a brown mess. This will be a low-tech softie tank, hopefully being able to run without too much interaction from me, just enjoying the corals and fish.

Peninsula 20 a couple of hours after the weekly water change:

20210501_133608.jpg

20210501_133234.jpg

20210501_133544.jpg
Welcome!

Glad you spoke up! Gorgeous photos

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the warm welcome and inspiring comments.

A little more info on the tank in the pictures. Pictures and details of the Waterbox will come at a later time...

- As already mentioned, it is an Innovative Marine Fusion Peninsula 20.
- I built the aquascape out of RealReef rock, over the course of a couple of weeks on my living room table before I was satisfied. The tank is quite narrow, and leaving room on both the long sides took some planning and several tries.
- The stand is custom built, purposely low in height so that I am able to enjoy the tank while sitting in my chair next to it.
- Return pump is Tunze Silence 1073.008 (one of few that fits the return chamber).
- Heater is AquaEl 50W (similar to the Cobalt flat plastic heaters you get in the US).
- Skimmer is the IM Nuvoskim DC Desktop skimmer (with DIY level switch going to the Apex).
- Reactor (currently running carbon) is the IM MiniMax Pro Desktop reactor.
- Powerheads are 2 pcs AI Nero 3's.
- Lights are 2 pcs AI Prime 16HD's, running pretty close to the BRS recommended settings (just added setpoints with more blue for sunrise and sunset).
- Dosing of Tropic Marin AllForReef is done by D-D P1 doser (the same as the Kamoer X1 doser).
- ATO by Tunze Osmolator 3155.
- And an Apex 2016 with 2 pcs EB6's that came from my previous Red Sea Reefer 525XL that monitors pH, salinity, and temperature, and controls some based on inputs...

I'm using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt which I buffer up with Tropic Marin Liquid Buffer until I get 8,5 dKH at 1.026 s.g.

I'm quite happy with the tank, the corals have started taking off the last month or so as all parameters have started stabilizing properly.
pH fluctuates from 8,1 at night/morning to 8,4 just as the lights start ramping down.
KH is stable at around 8,5 to 9 dKH (typically measuring with Hanna checker in the afternoon, 2-3 times per week).

If anyone should have them, I'm happy to answer questions and reflect on comments. :)
Hoping you put this info into a build thread

Like you, I didn't start build thread until I was already underway and then joined here, but I've been going back and updating it so I have a place for my own tanks' history. Plus, they give you a badge (see left under my ID)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back