First Post - Need some advice or recommendations

soter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, im new to the hobby, new into this forum and I just receive my first Reef tank this last weekend, is a custom tank from my LFS,180 g, starphire glass, eurobrace and black silicone. Everything was ok with my new tank but after a full inspect in more detail, I found some concerns about the building quality. There is some small-thin bubbles in the silicone joins as well the joins are uneven. My major concern is with the right-side panel, the top front join is about 1 mm thin, while the lower front I can’t measure because is too thin.

What do you think , I'll be fine?

20180409_173535.jpg

20180430_174718.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would recommend returning it. It may very well hold water and be perfectly fine for years to come. But, you paid what I would imagine is good money for the tank and you will always "see" those spots. Even if it does hold water, you'll always question, in the back of your mind, whether or not it will continue to hold water. There is enough to worry about in this hobby, your tank not blowing a seam need not be one of them.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@soter
First off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.

I would have your LFS, make it right.

Return the tank to your LFS and don't take no for an answer on a brand new tank.

You pay a great amount of money for an custom, and that manufacture should be ashamed of their work.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bubbles you are looking at are part of the reinforced seams, not the structural silicone glass to glass bond. It’s an acrylic to glass bond, and they aren’t perfect. I don’t see anything obviously wrong about the silicone part of the seams in these pics. Still, I fully get that it’s an eyesore.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, for the kind of setup you paid for I would return it and get another one done. To me it looks like shoddy workmanship at best. Even my mass produced Marineland looks better than that.

OP
OP
soter

soter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcoming me. Yesterday I filled it with tap water and I do not see any change with the bubbles or with the tiny join, but as like most of you posted, who knows when this tank will fail, right now it starting to give me headaches and a little frustration, I do not even want to imagine when it cracks or leaks. Additional to my tank test, there are additional factors to considered that will stress the joins, as the flow movement or the glass dilatation.

Based in your suggestions guys I decide to return it and try to get my money back. I don’t trust anymore in my LFS, and I don’t consider to change for new one and wait 3 more months for the replacement and have the same result.

Now I have an additional problem, this LFS supposed to be the “best” tank builder near to here and in my country there isn’t professional with a good quality companies specialized in building reef tanks, like in the USA. I'm seriously considering to build my own reef tank.

How easy is to build a new tank?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcoming me. Yesterday I filled it with tap water and I do not see any change with the bubbles or with the tiny join, but as like most of you posted, who knows when this tank will fail, right now it starting to give me headaches and a little frustration, I do not even want to imagine when it cracks or leaks. Additional to my tank test, there are additional factors to considered that will stress the joins, as the flow movement or the glass dilatation.

Based in your suggestions guys I decide to return it and try to get my money back. I don’t trust anymore in my LFS, and I don’t consider to change for new one and wait 3 more months for the replacement and have the same result.

Now I have an additional problem, this LFS supposed to be the “best” tank builder near to here and in my country there isn’t professional with a good quality companies specialized in building reef tanks, like in the USA. I'm seriously considering to build my own reef tank.

How easy is to build a new tank?
if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost to make?

OP
OP
soter

soter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost to make?
About 1300 USD included the cost of transportation to my house. I think for the size is very cheap compared with the Red Rea prices. The price is only for the tank, the base I made it with steel.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't offer any guidance as to building your own as I've never even contemplated doing so, let alone actually trying it.

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with the others who have suggested to return the tank for all the reasons that they’ve listed.

But (just my opinion for what it’s worth) if you’re considering your options to be either
1. Keep the tank and have that niggle in the back of your mind OR
2. Return the tank for refund and build your own...

I’d be inclined to suggest keeping the tank would be a better idea. As much as the workmanship on the joints is probably not to your (and our) expectations, unless you’ve got good DIY skills it could be a stretch to think you could do better. Especially if this would be your first time in doing a tank. (No offence intended)

I’m reasonably handy with DIY, and my first attempt at building my sump, which I had glass cut by a glazier, was a disaster. I tore it down and redid it.

My recommendation would be to return the tank and ask for replacement, rather than try to do a new one by yourself.

Good luck in your tough decision!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back