Clownfish Only Staying By Wall

Kurage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first saltwater tank so I'm very new to everything, but I picked up my first clownfish a couple days ago and now he only stays on the left side of the tank or up by the entrance to the overflow. He even sleeps wedged between the corner of the tank! He pretty small and is a very good eater thankfully and doesn't appear to be sick, but I'm just wondering is this normal due to the stress of a new environment? I plan on picking up a second clownfish next week and a Zoanthid that he can host to hopefully relieve some stress. If anyone has any tips about stressed fish or just clownfish in general it would be greatly appreciated!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first saltwater tank so I'm very new to everything, but I picked up my first clownfish a couple days ago and now he only stays on the left side of the tank or up by the entrance to the overflow. He even sleeps wedged between the corner of the tank! He pretty small and is a very good eater thankfully and doesn't appear to be sick, but I'm just wondering is this normal due to the stress of a new environment? I plan on picking up a second clownfish next week and a Zoanthid that he can host to hopefully relieve some stress. If anyone has any tips about stressed fish or just clownfish in general it would be greatly appreciated!
Having the second clown will do more for them getting a few Zoas. Clowns don’t really need anything for hosting. If a really new tank you’re better off waiting a bit for coral. I’d just make sure I have someplace in the rocks that they’d be able to hang out around.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two chose the return nozzle to host them in the upper left of my tank for over a year and then chose my duncan to host them. So normal behavior.
7B4B1231-26D8-4526-B1B7-2806D8101C00.jpeg
E4036575-92ED-450C-A6F9-59ADB43B4418.jpeg

OP
OP
Kurage

Kurage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the second clown will do more for them getting a few Zoas. Clowns don’t really need anything for hosting. If a really new tank you’re better off waiting a bit for coral. I’d just make sure I have someplace in the rocks that they’d be able to hang out around.
Thank you guys definitely relieved some of my worries lol!

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely standard clownfish behaviour.
My 2 have always been in the same corner of the tank the whole time I've had it.
They do venture out here and there these days, but generally that's where they stay.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back