First post/stocking

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I’ve been stocking my 90 bare bottom reef tank.
I’ve had several nano tanks with a pair of clowns, this is my first big tank. So stocking it was a little weird for me. The tank has been running for 7 months. Everything in the tank is relatively peaceful looking for ideas of what I could add if anything.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 Bi color blenny
1 Orangeback fairy wrasse
2 chromis
1 spingeri damsel
1 blue eye kole

Started with 4 chromis but you know how that goes
Anyways anything else I should add?
Not having sand is really limiting to what I could add I feel ‍♂️♂️

IMG_0332.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always go for some gobies, blennies or even a dwarf angel might be a good fit. Just stay away from the sand sifting ones since you dont have sand or maybe consider adding sand? Anyway welcome!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kdmkdm69

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always go for some gobies, blennies or even a dwarf angel might be a good fit. Just stay away from the sand sifting ones since you dont have sand or maybe consider adding sand? Anyway welcome!
I had originally planned on getting either a flame angel or a coral beauty but felt it was decently stocked. Coral beauty’s are currently on sale at my lfs hmm

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had originally planned on getting either a flame angel or a coral beauty but felt it was decently stocked. Coral beauty’s are currently on sale at my lfs hmm
I love dearf angels!

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I’ve been stocking my 90 bare bottom reef tank.
I’ve had several nano tanks with a pair of clowns, this is my first big tank. So stocking it was a little weird for me. The tank has been running for 7 months. Everything in the tank is relatively peaceful looking for ideas of what I could add if anything.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 Bi color blenny
1 Orangeback fairy wrasse
2 chromis
1 spingeri damsel
1 blue eye kole

Started with 4 chromis but you know how that goes
Anyways anything else I should add?
Not having sand is really limiting to what I could add I feel ‍♂️♂️

IMG_0332.jpeg
You’re not even just limited to the dwarf angels… you can have a couple different angels in there if you wanted. Here’s my 3 angels I have in my 4’x2’x18” tank.
Yes, I have a reef as well, the way I manage it is first off I have three angels that are fairly reef safe (I always have) and also I don’t really have any corals that are going to get demolished by angels (Acans, Chalice, Trachys, Scolys, etc).
The angels I have currently are Majestic Angel (Pokacanthus navarchus), Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens), and the Coral Beauty Angel (Centropyge bispinosa).
IMG_7471.jpeg

IMG_7218.jpeg

IMG_7219.jpeg

I’ve also had previously a Genicanthus melanospilos. These guys are very reef safe (Especially the deeper water species like melanospilos and semifasciatus) - you could have any of the Genicanthus species but my favourite is this guy personally.
IMG_0604.jpeg

Also, don’t be shy with stocking this tank! I know in nanos you’re generally told that you’re restricted with fish (I personally have 9 fish in my nano). In my 4’ tank I have 19 fish currently - I plan to remove a b****** Hawkfish as he’s going for my wrasses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kdmkdm69

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not even just limited to the dwarf angels… you can have a couple different angels in there if you wanted. Here’s my 3 angels I have in my 4’x2’x18” tank.
Yes, I have a reef as well, the way I manage it is first off I have three angels that are fairly reef safe (I always have) and also I don’t really have any corals that are going to get demolished by angels (Acans, Chalice, Trachys, Scolys, etc).
The angels I have currently are Majestic Angel (Pokacanthus navarchus), Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens), and the Coral Beauty Angel (Centropyge bispinosa).
IMG_7471.jpeg

IMG_7218.jpeg

IMG_7219.jpeg

I’ve also had previously a Genicanthus melanospilos. These guys are very reef safe (Especially the deeper water species like melanospilos and semifasciatus) - you could have any of the Genicanthus species but my favourite is this guy personally.
IMG_0604.jpeg

Also, don’t be shy with stocking this tank! I know in nanos you’re generally told that you’re restricted with fish (I personally have 9 fish in my nano). In my 4’ tank I have 19 fish currently - I plan to remove a b****** Hawkfish as he’s going for my wrasses.
What wrasses do you keep together? I know you can keep some together. I had considered adding a flasher

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wrasses do you keep together? I know you can keep some together. I had considered adding a flasher
I keep several species together - Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Halichoeres, Xenojulis, Pseudocheilinops, Macropharyngodon and Labroides are all the genera I keep. I personally have 13 species over 2 tanks - 9 in my main tank and 4 in my nano.

The reason I was curious about sand was my second family of fish I’d recommend are wrasses!
If you want to add sand later down the road you can have many more genera of wrasses however with a lack of sand, you are restricted to only 2 genera - Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus. Adding sand, you are more open to other genera like Macropharyngodon, Halichoeres and Anampses.
However, until then I would personally recommend you look into Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species and pick out a list of all the ones you like then I can help you to narrow it down to maybe 6-7 - I personally have 5 Paracheilinus/Cirrhilabrus species but I do have 19 fish total (as soon as I remove my hated fish, I’ll be back up at 20 with likely 2 other wrasses).

As a starting point I would recommend looking into Paracheilinus attenuatus, this is my boy and he is my pride and joy wrasse (This is why I want my other fish removed is due to him constantly attacking this guy).
IMG_7737.jpeg

IMG_7733.jpeg

IMG_7686.jpeg

As for a starting list (I enjoy doing this as often I let people do their own research into other species, it can be hard but once you find one photo you like you’ll find another species you like and so on). So here’s some other recommended species;
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
Paracheilinus flavianalis
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus hygroxerus
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus lunatus

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kdmkdm69

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into some of those more after work today. Those are all basically flasher and fairy wrasses correct? I had read an article about having multiple flasher or fairy wrasses together sometimes being a problem. You’ve never had any issues with that or is there something I’m missing. It was quite a long article so I could have misunderstood. But my orangeback is my favorite fish we call him Sonny!

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7471.jpeg

IMG_7218.jpeg

IMG_7219.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

How do the majestic and regal get along?? I love that combo! At first I was afraid the majestic would bully the regal but my regal is Queen B of the tank lol shes super rude to new editions

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the majestic and regal get along?? I love that combo! At first I was afraid the majestic would bully the regal but my regal is Queen B of the tank lol shes super rude to new editions
These two get along just fine, if anything it’s my Coral Beauty that is the big bully of the group.

I did get the regal first in December and then got the Majestic in April/Mayish (possibly earlier I’m not sure). The regal was and still is probably 3x the size of the Majestic so that may have helped the two get along better.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two get along just fine, if anything it’s my Coral Beauty that is the big bully of the group.

I did get the regal first in December and then got the Majestic in April/Mayish (possibly earlier I’m not sure). The regal was and still is probably 3x the size of the Majestic so that may have helped the two get along better.
Ah! Im looking at the biota one since I had good luck with their yellow tang!! Gotta save since its expensiveeee

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Im looking at the biota one since I had good luck with their yellow tang!! Gotta save since its expensiveeee
I would personally go for a wild caught juvenile if I’m honest, it’s cheaper at the moment and they aren’t tiny - these fish have one painfully slow growth rate to the point I’ve never seen one over 6 inches in length that wasn’t brought in at that size.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally go for a wild caught juvenile if I’m honest, it’s cheaper at the moment and they aren’t tiny - these fish have one painfully slow growth rate to the point I’ve never seen one over 6 inches in length that wasn’t brought in at that size.
Hum I might look for one then! Love their colors, just not sure if I want another large angelfish, I might just go with a dwarf if I do

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kdmkdm69

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think I just got back from my lfs. I picked up a small coral beauty that was on sale for $25 and a Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura. Pretty excited to add another wrasse as you’ve now got me wanting a collection lol I’ll get ya a pic in a couple days when he comfortable(he’s still acclimating now)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kdmkdm69

kdmkdm69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum I might look for one then! Love their colors, just not sure if I want another large angelfish, I might just go with a dwarf if I do
i just noticed your signature! i agree with this although i get a little upset when they drag their shells across my corals lol
also a close second for me is shrimp! I have 2 peppermint a tiger pistol and a sexy shrimp and I’ll probably end up with more down the road(looking forward to a asterina problem?)

Attachments

• IMG_9636.mov
    50.7 MB
Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back