First quarantine tank, questions to be had...

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please spare me the should have done this in the first plave, im a noob.

Long story short i have a red hawkfish that has a blue cloud over his eyes for the past couple weeks. hes having trouble finding food in the water column and ive been babying him with syringe feeding. he also doesnt fly around the tank anymore, usually gets active at feeding time only now. ive dipped him once with furan 2 for about 20 minutes a week ago today. iw anted to give it time and observe before another dip, i thought i saw some increase in mobility / eyesight but its not improving more and definitely not like when i got him. i have a foxface that i feel has started to act weird as well weithin the last couple days, maybe cloud coming over the eyes ( i have read its normal tho) and not moving about the tank as much, although he still eats like a pig and can find the food well..

im looking to treat the hawk and most likely the foxface for flukes in a QT tank but im not sure about the quarantine SETUP and MAINTENANCE. i read the article about the standard QT process but i still have a couple questions.

1. how often are water changes done on a QT tank 10 Gal, and am i using display tank water ever after the initial setup? lets say for water changes?

2. im having trouble nailing down what filtration to use. i have a 40G AIO... should i use a sponge or filter floss before the skimmer or would taking some of my seachem matrix out of the bag and adding it into a new bag and putting it into the QT tank work as well.

3. any other advice?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like you're trying to treat for a possible eye infection, as well as flukes.

1) You do a water change whenever the ammonia levels rise too high. Or however a medication requires you to water change. Given that you're treating for flukes, I would use freshly mixed saltwater instead of water from the main tank.

2) You can seed the QT with the beneficial bacteria from the matrix. You can probably get away with taking out half of the matrix in one go.

3) Check out humble.fish . Lots of good information and medication information in it.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like you're trying to treat for a possible eye infection, as well as flukes.

1) You do a water change whenever the ammonia levels rise too high. Or however a medication requires you to water change. Given that you're treating for flukes, I would use freshly mixed saltwater instead of water from the main tank.

2) You can seed the QT with the beneficial bacteria from the matrix. You can probably get away with taking out half of the matrix in one go.

3) Check out humble.fish . Lots of good information and medication information in it.
i just setup my QT tank. i used 80% displany tank water and 20% fresh saltwater. i used the fluval aquaclear 30 and put inside 80% display tank biochem matrix and 20% brand new biochem matrix. i also put in a brand new sponge that came with the filter.

also the fluval is alot smaller then my bag i use in my display, it didnt really make a dent in the nag i used.

am i making a mistake using new biochem matrix, or maybe biomatrix at all, can pests and such live inside it?

also is the new sponge a mistake?

appreciate any insight.

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you're doing a QT, that means that you should be dosing to kill any pests that ride along in the biomedia. In your situation, it shouldn't be too big of a problem, since you're not dealing with brook, ich, or velvet, which can hitch along with any media you take out from the tank.

I wouldn't necessarily say you're making a mistake, but depending on what the matrix is made of as well as what you're dosing, it may not be suitable for anything other than the quarantine tank from now on. The same applies for the sponge filter.

Have you arrived at a conclusion for what your treatment plan is? If you're dosing flukes, it may be worth doing a freshwater dip, and then dosing praziquantel(??) into the water to keep them dead. And for the cloudy eye, some form of antibiotic (erythromycin maybe?).

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you're doing a QT, that means that you should be dosing to kill any pests that ride along in the biomedia. In your situation, it shouldn't be too big of a problem, since you're not dealing with brook, ich, or velvet, which can hitch along with any media you take out from the tank.

I wouldn't necessarily say you're making a mistake, but depending on what the matrix is made of as well as what you're dosing, it may not be suitable for anything other than the quarantine tank from now on. The same applies for the sponge filter.

Have you arrived at a conclusion for what your treatment plan is? If you're dosing flukes, it may be worth doing a freshwater dip, and then dosing praziquantel(??) into the water to keep them dead. And for the cloudy eye, some form of antibiotic (erythromycin maybe?).

thanks for the insight

i dont plan or need to use any of the media in the QT tank again.

as far as a treatment plan goes i have a bottle of prazipro on the way. i nice 5 miinute freshwater dip should show me if that was a good investment? im still not 100% sure what im working with, busy i know for certain hes not seeing correctly atleast. really struggles to locate the food in the water column, even tho he wants to find it. when i first recieved him he would go for it without a misstep, then it came to him gulping in the air and missing it and not as active. id say its been a month since i noticed. Now he cant find it when it goes past his face and i syringe it to him. i have noticed hes been towards the front of the tank the last couple days more and its almost as if he sees me, or the change in light in front of him in the room. he will hit his nose on things sometimes and land on the rocks a little harsh as well. that and he has a blue haze over. heres some pics of him. the video of him feeding is a day or two after i noticed something was up, he looks like hes feeding ok in the video too, but that was a decline from where he started and hes worse along now.

i have a foxface i was telling you about and the more ive watched my tank the less concerned i am about him. im thinking he was just a little sleepy that morning and me knowing somethings wrong with the hawk maybe over reacted. he finds the reef frenzy in the water column like a champ, eats the nori on a clip, and has been pecking the rocks. every video i see of rabbitfish have a haze on the eye as well. im debating not moving him until i find something on the hawk i should be worried about.

i also have a pair of clownfish in the tank that are showing no ill side effects at all.
also have a cleaner shrimp that cleans the hawkfish every day and the foxface once in a while if im lucky to catch it.

him as of yesterday.
20200922_120024.jpg

20200922_115917.jpg

him when i first got him
20200809_133739.jpg

video of him when i first noticed something wrong.

next feeding time i will geta video of what he does now.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please spare me the should have done this in the first plave, im a noob.

Long story short i have a red hawkfish that has a blue cloud over his eyes for the past couple weeks. hes having trouble finding food in the water column and ive been babying him with syringe feeding. he also doesnt fly around the tank anymore, usually gets active at feeding time only now. ive dipped him once with furan 2 for about 20 minutes a week ago today. iw anted to give it time and observe before another dip, i thought i saw some increase in mobility / eyesight but its not improving more and definitely not like when i got him. i have a foxface that i feel has started to act weird as well weithin the last couple days, maybe cloud coming over the eyes ( i have read its normal tho) and not moving about the tank as much, although he still eats like a pig and can find the food well..

im looking to treat the hawk and most likely the foxface for flukes in a QT tank but im not sure about the quarantine SETUP and MAINTENANCE. i read the article about the standard QT process but i still have a couple questions.

1. how often are water changes done on a QT tank 10 Gal, and am i using display tank water ever after the initial setup? lets say for water changes?

2. im having trouble nailing down what filtration to use. i have a 40G AIO... should i use a sponge or filter floss before the skimmer or would taking some of my seachem matrix out of the bag and adding it into a new bag and putting it into the QT tank work as well.

3. any other advice?
When I hear of a flame hawk with cloudy eyes, I immediately think Neobenedenia flukes. Have you tried a 5 minute FW dip? You should do that and look in the container afterwards for flukes that dropped off, they’ll look like scales.
Jay

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I hear of a flame hawk with cloudy eyes, I immediately think Neobenedenia flukes. Have you tried a 5 minute FW dip? You should do that and look in the container afterwards for flukes that dropped off, they’ll look like scales.
Jay
i actually have (Cyprinocirrhites polyactis) and the picture that show's up looks just like mine does with the haze over the eyes and all. so im wondering what else it could be....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back