First Reef! Planning and Building My 140 Tall (in-wall)

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody familiar with APEX/controllers.. I just realized I should run cat5 to electric cabinet while I have it all open. Do you wire it to router or to a PC? Could just do both but I need to do that this weekend and those are now two different destinations. Thanks!
I ran a cat5 to office and router :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insulation is done and I think plumbing too. Should just be furring, drywall, and (free!) epoxy floor before developments are actual fishroom/tank/equipment updates!

Hoping I can run into someone with a bit of plumbing knowledge here. In the plumbing, I have 3/4 " copper lines that feed the washer and laundryroom sink. Nothing else on those lines. Had a family friend around that helped with adding copper hookups--I've never done it. The setup now goes watermain>3/4">1/2">Washer>fishroom utility sink>laundry utility sink. Do I have any hope of having pressure for RODI at the joint where fishroom utility sink comes out? If not is it just a matter of a pump or are there other concerns for this plumbing to not work?

I appear to have got the drains correctly. Both sinks drain dry and I've done a load of laundry and tested during as well.

EDIT: if you stumble upon this somehow for guidance on the above-described issues, this plumbing setup led to 35 PSI in, with an adapter like this one except I capped the out line because I plugged this adapter up to a split feed for the cold line for the utility sink in the room with it. At first I struggled with trying to do a direct connection with brass and 1/4" adapters to the sink hookup. This adapter is specifically what you need to go from a sink/toilet hookup to 1/4" line. They're not the same threadings so don't make this same mistake, I wasted a day. Shoutout @chefjpaul since I can't get as good of a picture from under my own sink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m close to pulling the trigger on a 48”x24”x30” from customaquariums. They’re quoting me their overflow setup but I think I’m going to get a MM setup instead. It looks like I’ll have to get custom with the MM for any GPH over 1600 because CA doesn’t cut 2” bulkheads. My system will be the 140 DT, 40 breeder diy sump, and soon after setup a 29gal fuge above tank. I plan to have a main larger return and a smaller one servicing only the fuge (probably about 7 ft head above the pump).

Am I underdoing this system going for 1600 GPH? That’s 2x 1.5” bulkheads and 3x 1” drains. I plan to BeAn. I also would like to add a frag tank to this system down the road (although I will have a little frag space in sump.)

I read a lot about the 10x turnover—that should be calculated by system volume right? Will customizing a MM to smaller bulkheads ultimately lower GPH or is the drain itself the limiting factor of flow through overflow?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to just spring for the 2400 model, it's going to take 3x 1.5" CA holes but I'm feeling savvy preparing for a larger system now. I also contacted a local fabrication shop and was very surprised to get a quote for a 2" tube 1/8" stand with gussets fabricated and powdercoated for $325. I'm definitely going that route. I've also decided to pour a 2" foundation to get to perfect level while I still can. Has anybody done this that can speak to how much larger than the footprint of the tank stand I ought to make the slab? Self-courtesy bump for any of the questions in this thread if this finds you? :)

After closer inspection of 'grade' and reading a bit about shimming stands, it turns out I was largely overestimating how out of level my floor was, and what implications that held. I ultimately opted to NOT pour a pedestal for the tank.
Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All set up for my CA 140 tall and custom MM 2400 to fit. Waiting on steel guy too--CA notes there are ~1/8" of play in final tank measurements. Can anybody comment on how much I should/not offset a steel stand from the true dimensions of the tank? Exactly flush? Does it matter within a certain distance? More bumps for visibility. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed on the dotted lines for a 48L 24W 30H 140gal from custom aquariums and a modular marine 2400 this week!

Also went and introduced myself to the far and away best rated LFS. I think I'm going to work through him for equipment ordering as he has made me some nice compensatory offers on equipment and corals. I would appreciate any input on the below equipment and offers.

The biggest offer was for me to buy both of his 1 y/o Radion G4s Pros with defusers and a reeflink all for $1k. He sort of maybe made it sound like his shop warranty would be able to travel with them :cool: Should I bite?

He's also recommended a COR20 and an aqua excel EC30 skimmer. I can't find much on the latter and would welcome anybody's experience with AE.

I would have about an MP10s worth of justified spending left at this point. I have some cheap amazon powerheads for the brute cycling I'm doing if anybody has a suggestion on where to better spend that cash up front. The COR20 and a cheaper 2nd pump for abovetank fuge with amazon powerheads might be enough flow for the early days?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say go with a 5' or 6' tank but I guess its too late for that now!

Could you expand on your idea of an above tank fuge? Below tank fuges are generally much easier. I've never heard of Aqua Excel but if it has that classic cone design with a needle wheel pump you can't really go wrong.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say go with a 5' or 6' tank but I guess its too late for that now!

Could you expand on your idea of an above tank fuge? Below tank fuges are generally much easier. I've never heard of Aqua Excel but if it has that classic cone design with a needle wheel pump you can't really go wrong.

Hey thanks for chiming in! The 4' L is the absolute max I can get away with as I need the balance of the opening in the wall for a door to get into the fish room behind the tank. That's why my growth was upwards for the tank even if that does mean more intensive maintenance and lighting requirements.

Below is the last sketchup I've done for how I see the room going. I'm going to drill direct drains from the fuge (top left) that overflow into the DT. IT will probably actually sit turned 90 degrees and I might partition half of it for a substrate spp as I plan to go bare bottom in the DT. The refugium will be fed by a second return pump that will perhaps be split to also feed DT. The plumbing for the refugium will be right above my electronics cabinet so I plan to run the plumbing through a large 4" PVC secondary line hanging on the wall for added water retention.

updated fish room.png

Thanks!

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome. Love the excitement. Nice project. Don’t mean to be a kill joy just safety compliant as you have the studs open .... is that wiring code compliant? Don’t know about US but here in Blighty wires run vertically and horizontally to/from sockets in alignment and within 150mm safe zones from floor/ceiling joints and Room corners. That way everyone know where the drill/fix etc with no nasty surprises.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome. Love the excitement. Nice project. Don’t mean to be a kill joy just safety compliant as you have the studs open .... is that wiring code compliant? Don’t know about US but here in Blighty wires run vertically and horizontally to/from sockets in alignment and within 150mm safe zones from floor/ceiling joints and Room corners. That way everyone know where the drill/fix etc with no nasty surprises.

Thanks for asking Jagg. I tacked all romex at least mid height in all joists and plan to pay an electrician to attach circuits to breaker and check my work. I only ended up having to drill a single additional romex hole, otherwise following old wiring so everything should be fine. I also took pictures of framing with straight edge and measurements before drywall where I did some heavier duty firring for equipment cabinet and drywall corners so I can tie in there with confidence of where utilities are.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to go barebottom? I wouldn't separate the fuge at all, just have it as a nice fuge draining into your DT.

In my experience it's easier to overfeed a system and have optimal coral conditions without a sandbed growing all sorts of what ifs. The added consideration of sandbed maintenance in a 30"H tank was also a factor.

Do you think an entire 29gal growing chaeto? Have that tank already too. My plan was to utilize some of that space for a much more manageable area of substrate for a jawfish or goby/pistol. I suppose I could do the whole fuge in substrate and not divide the two?

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. Try and run cables perpendicular and vertical to outlets at very least can’t go far wrong with that whatever code requires. Safety first always. I usually cap everything as well but not required in stud. Like this .
1ACB3AD8-7090-4324-983C-CE0A7013CAF8.jpeg

7312CB96-DC2B-4A06-A3B7-642BE295129A.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will serve as a display within the fish room as I want to incorporate the only substrate on the system in that tank and maybe a jawfish or pistol/goby pair, and I'm not necessarily opposed to other safe algae. The main goal with the fuge is a healthy pod pop for an eventual mandarin.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all—

I’m hoping to nail down my first lighting iteration. I’ve got an offer from LFS to buy his 1y/o used Radion XR30 G4 Pros (2) with deflectors and controller for $1050. That’s about what my lighting budget is. He mentioned he could keep the store warranty on them. I would actually be buying them now but not taking them til he gets G5s. Tank is 7-9weeks out now.

I noticed I could swing two new kessil a360x for a little less.

I know it’s not one size fits all and everybody has an opinion but I’m curious if one of these, or another ~$1k lighting solution exists for this 48x24x30 tank. I plan for an LPS-heavy mix but I do want some SPS. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Room should be mudded, painted, and epoxy'd during this remote work mandate (bummer;)) in time for the CA build to be finished!! Also picked up this behemoth today and should be ready to take to powdercoat tomorrow, all precautions for both parties considered. Will be ~ $430 fab'd/blasted/coated (49"x25"x34", 2x2 11 ga, 8 gussets). Absolutely overbuilt, but relatively affordable all told. Don't mind the mom-mobile mess, this is going to be a long few weeks :oops:
fabstand.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very fortunate to have been able to transition to working from home and maintaining my full salary during the pandemic. I'm saving on gas and the stimulus check will be all on top and I am debating whether to purchase something extra for my build/fishroom than I was originally planning. Wondering if anybody has any suggestions!

Currently in possession of:
140tall 48"x24"x30"
2400gph Modular Marine Overflow
29 Aqueon Refugium
40 Aqueon sump
2x Radion XR30 G4 Pro
2x Syncra silent 3.0 (one full return to DT, one split return to DT and manifold/above tank fuge)
2x200W Jager EHeims (currently have an inkbird)
1x Skimz SS6.0
1x Reef Octo SRO-2000INT
1x BRS reactor

I plan to start predominantly LPS but hope to be able to produce enough of a flow and lighting gradient to start with a few SPS too. I know I need to add flow regardless.

I'm pondering purchasing (probably maximum of 2, not listed in any particular order):
-Apex
-DC return to transition one sicce to mixing station pump/backup
-MP40

I would also love to hear your input on a shopping list of fish room odds and ends you wouldn't think about having your first go around! Thanks and stay sane out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After delays from COVID retail availability, powering through a new fence and a garage/shop buildout, and the day to day struggles of working from home with small children, I finally have some updates! I finished the drywall/painting maybe a month ago now, using leftover from what my wife chose for an accent wall in our dining room... but much more interesting closer-to-tank-related-things have happened in the past week!

First, my buddy and I installed this killer epoxy+flake floor from excess from a large basement we did a few months ago. I think the job was ~2400 sq ft, and this entire fish room and a 2' area in front of tank for display/drip catching was all of 90 sq ft. These floors are indestructible, watertight, and the flake +topcoat give it a great texture for walking in wet conditions. It's perfect in function, and the flashy appearance is just a cherry on top for me! I don't have a closeup of the flakes but it'll pop up enough through this thread I'm sure. Ask if you want to see it, and if you're in the central IL region I definitely know a guy! Super happy with it:

IMG_3908.jpg

Don't mind the drywall tearout on the right--it will get the same decorative paneling as I skin the framing around the tank with. Might have to be something along the lines of shiplap *shudders in wife's pinterest obsession* but I am doing it to 1) have a relatively removable wall situation should I decide to have custom cabinetry done instead some day and 2) avoid dust if I ever carry out said cabinetry endeavour. Also visible on left are my hangers for pegboard, RODI, and dehumidifier on the wall full of plumbing and electrical (full bath, washer/dryer, and BRAND NEW [another delay...] breaker panel are all opposite that wall). I marked all hazards on those hangers for future reference:). You can also see a temporary shelf where my router and modem come into house, but shelf rack on left will be about those dimensions.

The same weekend my buddy and I did the floor, the powdercoater finished my stand! I went with a matte black (I think he wanted me to try something flashier haha) and it turned out super nice. It also turned out to not be the largest cargo I shoved into our minivan this week :cool:
IMG_3909.jpg

I had a 2" steel tubing stand fabricated with 8 gussets. Incredibly overengineered on my part but I know I'm not alone on that front around these parts ;Hilarious. There's another 20" or so of epoxy under that carpet, I just didn't bother to cut it. There will eventually be new carpet and those guys can handle tacking it on our epoxy edge ;)

And finally, once powdercoater finished stand and WI/IL laxed/updated restrictions, I made the trek up to Custom Aquariums to get the tank! They were super accommodating with COVID times, in fact their office staff had just returned this week, and Nathan was still able to show me around the shop a bit. Seems like a tight operation, and I was glad to learn they are expanding their facility with another building and are going to start carrying stock size tanks ready to ship! The tank is beautiful! I can't find a bubble in the silicone seams anywhere, and you can simply feel the rigidity and quality to the frames. Still need to leak test, but I am very cautiously optimistic due to their QC and the sleek appearance of all applications. The 10 hr drive in a 250k mile van that can't idle was interesting, but I am happy to report the most exciting part of the journey was seeing the tank for the first time and then rolling home uneventfully. It sat in the van until just this morning, when a friend came over to help set up the utility sink and offered to help move it inside and downstairs.

So happy to finally have a picture of it for this thread:
IMG_3912.jpg

If this is your first time following along with my build, this is a 140 tall: 4' wide, 2' deep, and 30" tall. I've already built a quick little deck stairs stepstool that's the length of the tank for access, and I can put my palm down on the bottom glass. I had done my best to plan for this in stand height, but to finally test it in person...I can happily report that this tank location is at a great height for sitting and viewing with our favorite recliner.

I've had 150ish lbs of assorted reef saver foundation rubble and shelf rocks cycling since early January and I'm going to do my best to wetscape with some Marco, superglue, and fiberglass driveway rods to hopefully have a quick/zero tank cycle. I fancy myself as a bit of an artist and I can't wait to scape this thing. I've got a bit of an idea in my head, and doing my best to plan to leave myself some SPS grow out space. Also exciting was the no-problems dry fit of the beautiful Modular Marine overflow through the holes CA cut for me. I will have to do a separate comment for the overflow when I plumb it up, but that thing is absolutely freaking gorgeous too.

You can just make out the utility sink. You can see it through the 'doorway' which is the next project along with shelves, bench, and refugium/frag rack inside fishroom, right after I get the RO station set up so I can get this bad boy fill tested and ready to go! I'm so pumped ;Happy

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%

Back