First Salt Water Tank, Macro Algae, beginning from the beginning

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

Have wanted a salt water tank for many years. Moving into a new house in a few months and my wife expressed an interest in a Macro Algae tank after we are settled in. Sounds like a good place to start!

I’ll be using the below thread as a primary reference and to help me provide some structure to my decisions and updates:

Thread 'The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Here we go!

Section 1
-The Plan
—Tank Placement

Actually, plan is for two tanks. We will start with the Macro Algae tank and focus on that one in this thread.

Here is the floor plan and tank placements:
DAADC661-28B9-4739-AE31-81A9DEEDFEAC.jpeg

55” TV in the middle with the two tanks on either side. North is up, so no direct Sun coming in from windows in room. Outlets readily available. Circuit amps unknown at this time. Suspect it will be 15amps, might be 20. House is a spec build so no say in that, but can always change later. Will change to GFCI outlets if not already installed. Will use GFCI surge protectors and of course drip loops. Probably throw an UPS on there as well, plug most stuff into direct while plugging the mandatory emergency equipment into the battery backup on UPS.

Cement slab, so no concern on weight.

The tank next to the bedroom entrance will most likely be the Macro Algae tank and the other one will be a (to be determined) style tank.

Next up is deciding what will the tank stands look like? (Overall design) Throwing some ideas around, more on that later.

—Chris

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so, change of plans. Going to go with a peninsula tank instead, coming out of the wall by the bedroom entrance. Build a half wall for it to sit on and a piano up against one side of the half wall.

Half wall would be built to allow storage underneath and potentially a sump later. Need to find some plans or suggestions on how to make it strong enough. 2x6s and 4x4s? Top of wall material? Waterproofing? All questions to look into.

40 gallons I’m thinking. Possible tank
Still doing macro algae but will also have live rock and fish.

IMG_0555.jpeg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back