First saltwater fish - Need for concern?

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what I absolutely swore off when I decided to go with a saltwater build. I was at Petco Saturday, picking a heater for my mixing station and decided just to take a stroll through fish section. Sure enough, I walked out with a heater, 2 juvenile black ocellaris clowns, and a neon dottyback ;Facepalm. My QT has been cycled and ready for some time now, so I figured why not? All of the fish appeared active, vibrant, and healthy. After acclimating, the first thing I noticed is the clowns appeared to be having some buoyancy issues. They were having to constantly swim down or they'd float up to the top. I was a little concerned by this, but they were eating a little and otherwise looked fine. I shrugged this off as possible differences in water parameters (the girl at Petco had no clue when I asked) was aggravating their swim bladders. As of yesterday, the buoyancy issues were gone and they were happily swimming about the tank and eating well. When I got home and fed them today, the smaller of the 2 showed interest in food but didn't eat. I sat and watched for awhile and noticed he/she was occasionally listing to one side and the dorsal fin was clamped. Visually, both look great (slime coat, color, and seemingly no external parasites). The only other thing I've noticed is abnormal fish poop. Long, stringy, and hair like in appearance. I'm thinking possible intestinal parasites? I'm of the opinion to observe and treat if necessary, so I haven't treated with anything as of yet. I have cupramine on-hand, but wondering if I should go grab some PraziPro (should have already had some, shame on me) or something similar?

Thanks in advance!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a lot of posts on here about problems with fish bought from petco. Sounds like mostly inexperienced employees.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a GREAT idea to carry various medications on hand. I have cupramine, Prazipro, Furan, Metro, Kannaplex, and General Cure.

Is the stringy poop white or brown?

I like to treat 2 doses Prazipro followed by 2 weeks cupramine (4 weeks if I see symptoms)

In addition, I feed furan + metro + focus to bonded frozen food for 2 weeks. This usually handles all issues.

OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poop's diameter is very small so it's difficult to tell. If I had to call it, I'd say it's more white than brown.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White poop means internal parasite and brown is just poop and in some cases a sign of constipation.

OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! He hasn't got any worse since I've gotten home. I'll pick up some additional meds first thing tomorrow and come home for lunch to observe.

I’ve seen a lot of posts on here about problems with fish bought from petco. Sounds like mostly inexperienced employees.

Yeah, it's why a swore off livestock from Petco. Unfortunately, as far marine fish go, I have to drive over an hour to get to a decent LFS. I hadn't planned on buying these fish, but we all know that goes sometimes.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes have also been a huge problem lately with fish I've seen from Petco, you may want to consider a freshwater dip to check them

Thank you... Should I go ahead and do that now or wait until he's eating again?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you... Should I go ahead and do that now or wait until he's eating again?
The freshwater dip can be stressful, if they both came from the same tank then they will more than likely have the same parasites so you could try the freshwater dip on the healthier looking one first to confirm if they have them or not

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that the freshwater dip is just to check if you see anything fall off in the water. If you see them (look like small white bugs), they are still in your tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! He hasn't got any worse since I've gotten home. I'll pick up some additional meds first thing tomorrow and come home for lunch to observe.

Yeah, it's why a swore off livestock from Petco. Unfortunately, as far marine fish go, I have to drive over an hour to get to a decent LFS. I hadn't planned on buying these fish, but we all know that goes sometimes.
Its just not Petco.

OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and did the freshwater dip on the healthier of the 2 and I don't see anything in the bucket. He seemed to tolerate it pretty well, just a little stunned when I put him back in the tank.

I managed to get a pic of the suspect poo. (I'm laughing out loud right now - I have a childish sense of humor) It's blurry, but I think you can see what I'm talking about.
20190516_224747.jpg

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a leap and bought a coral beauty from Petco. The fish is doing fine. Of course I only bought it because all the other fish looked healthy too. I think your logic was sound. So treat it and hope for the best. In other threads they have suggested soaking foods in metro and focus for internal parasites. It worked on my tang's bacterial infection too

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a leap and bought a coral beauty from Petco. The fish is doing fine. Of course I only bought it because all the other fish looked healthy too. I think your logic was sound. So treat it and hope for the best. In other threads they have suggested soaking foods in metro and focus for internal parasites. It worked on my tang's bacterial infection too
Metro is usually fine but general cure also covers intestinal worms, it is a mixture of praziquental and metronidazole

OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro is usually fine but general cure also covers intestinal worms, it is a mixture of praziquental and metronidazole

Picked up some general cure at lunch today.

OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Just treated with my 2nd dose of general cure, but I'm afraid the little clown is probably not going to make it. With each passing day he has grown worse and noticeably more emaciated. He was basically just hovering in the tank earlier this morning, but now is laying on the bottom :(. If anyone has a Hail Mary for me, I think now will be my last chance. The other clown and dottyback seem to be doing very well.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Just treated with my 2nd dose of general cure, but I'm afraid the little clown is probably not going to make it. With each passing day he has grown worse and noticeably more emaciated. He was basically just hovering in the tank earlier this morning, but now is laying on the bottom :(. If anyone has a Hail Mary for me, I think now will be my last chance. The other clown and dottyback seem to be doing very well.
If he's looking really bad this thread may help you
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/
@ngoodermuth @HotRocks @4FordFamily

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Were you feeding the medicine soaked food, or just dosing the water column with the GC? Has he been eating at all?

The white poop in that photo indicates internal parasites. To treat it, you really need to get the medication right into the gut.

OP
OP
DC504

DC504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he didn't make it. I was halfway through adding rodi to drop the salinity and the little guy perished. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I do appreciate it.

Were you feeding the medicine soaked food, or just dosing the water column with the GC? Has he been eating at all?

The white poop in that photo indicates internal parasites. To treat it, you really need to get the medication right into the gut.

I was just adding it to the water column as he had quit eating a couple of days prior. I will, however; begin medicating the food for the other two.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he didn't make it. I was halfway through adding rodi to drop the salinity and the little guy perished. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I do appreciate it.

I was just adding it to the water column as he had quit eating a couple of days prior. I will, however; begin medicating the food for the other two.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope everyone else does ok

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back