First saltwater tank

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years in keeping freshwater. Decided to try a reef this summer.

Red Sea reefer 170
Kessil 360
Reef octopus biopellet reactor
Reef octopus carbon/GFO reactor
Reef octopus external skimmer plumed off the Biopellet reactor
Reef octopus DC varios 4 return pump
cora life twist UV sterilizer
Vortex MP10 wireless quiet drive.

Curious about opinions, tank is about 2.5 months old.

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Photo on 7-28-17 at 12.02 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! Nice setup

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that picture of plumbing and tank pieces all over the floor makes me anxious to start my build now!!

Looks like a fun build! Congrats on the transition to saltwater!

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that picture of plumbing and tank pieces all over the floor makes me anxious to start my build now!!

Looks like a fun build! Congrats on the transition to saltwater!

Tell me about it! I already want to start another build, It's the most engaging part for me. I already want to make my old 195 gallon system thats currently freshwater into a triton tank!

What type of system do you have in the works?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it! I already want to start another build, It's the most engaging part for me. I already want to make my old 195 gallon system thats currently freshwater into a triton tank!

What type of system do you have in the works?
New house forced me to shut down my previous tank so this one is a slow build with a fish room.

It is a slow build for sure.. the room is currently stripped and I'm working on studding out the ceiling as it is all unfinished. Also tearing our the previous owners makeshift electrical work [emoji19] lol. So electrical will hopefully be done this week and depending on how many other home projects the fiance puts on me, I may get the framing finished and drywall up by months end.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/317244/

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!
Added a vortech MP10 to get some flow in the tank, I was worried the MP10 wouldn't be strong enough. Boy was I wrong.
I also added new some Soft/LPS to the tank. Im thinking I want to try my hand at some SPS specifically some of these amazing purple acros Ive been seeing around. Got a nice high up shelf right next to the new power head for em. Tanks only been up for a few months so im not sure if its mature enough. But Ive gotten decent at stabilizing parameters and doing my weekly maintenance.

I recently ordered a Artfully acrylic lid, but it takes em about 5-6 weeks to build and ship it so ill include it in the next update.
I got the lid so I could house a dwarf golden moray eel. So hopefully he will be included in the next update as well!

Any advice from the experienced reefers here is welcomed!
IMG_0012.jpeg
IMG_0011.jpeg

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That plumbing is crazy!

Thank you! I wanted to pack of bunch of equipment in there and it ended up looking just how I wanted it.

Phase II of the build im going to turn the RS ATO system into a refugium and run it off the manifold. And doing a full apex controller set up into a touch screen podium that also holds a 10 gallon ATO. The podium will house all the electronics and controllers as well as have general storage in it for supplies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back