First saltwater tank

j90ramos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I will be getting a 90 gal saltwater tank w/ sump this week (post pic of the tank later). Just trying to get some feedback or comments on what not to do/ what to do.

My plan is to start of with fish first and slowly moved into putting corals. Due to going with dry rock but might get a few live rocks to speed up the process. (40 lbs dry : 10 lbs live)
Lights was going go with Radion XR15 G5 Blue unless another option.
Water I am on the ropes on getting from a LFS or get a RODI system and make my own to not deal with hassle of going to the LFS the day of for water changes. Trying to see what's the best route for the long run.

Any tips is welcome to make my first tank successful. Have dealt with Freshwater for a good while but time to make that jump.

Thank yall

Baby_Shark

King of shark week!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I will be getting a 90 gal saltwater tank w/ sump this week (post pic of the tank later). Just trying to get some feedback or comments on what not to do/ what to do.

My plan is to start of with fish first and slowly moved into putting corals. Due to going with dry rock but might get a few live rocks to speed up the process. (40 lbs dry : 10 lbs live)
Lights was going go with Radion XR15 G5 Blue unless another option.
Water I am on the ropes on getting from a LFS or get a RODI system and make my own to not deal with hassle of going to the LFS the day of for water changes. Trying to see what's the best route for the long run.

Any tips is welcome to make my first tank successful. Have dealt with Freshwater for a good while but time to make that jump.

Thank yall
Hello and welcome to the hobby! My advice would be dont forget your water test kets such as Alk, Calk, and mag. Also No3 And PO4 is super important in the beginning so you dont end up with crazy algae or dino’s.

Also go ahead and purchase your own RODI unit vs fish store water if you plan to be in this hobby for a while, it will have you money in the long run. I usually only use fish store water if im in a pinch.

Pick a good salt mix to use. Here is a good video on all the different top salts in the hobby.

OP
OP
j90ramos

j90ramos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to the hobby! My advice would be dont forget your water test kets such as Alk, Calk, and mag. Also No3 And PO4 is super important in the beginning so you dont end up with crazy algae or dino’s.

Also go ahead and purchase your own RODI unit vs fish store water if you plan to be in this hobby for a while, it will have you money in the long run. I usually only use fish store water if im in a pinch.

Pick a good salt mix to use. Here is a good video on all the different top salts in the hobby.

Of course, I can't forget about those test kits.

I do plan on been in the hobby for the long haul. Thinking the same which one would be a good money saver as well thinking of only using the fish store water for the first fill up till I can get the RODI setup.

Thank you for the video

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
#1 RODI unit so you can get 0 TDS water
-You don’t want algae and other bad things growing from bad water
-Buy a TDS meter so you can read your water before mixing salt

#2 Let your rock cycle . You will need test kits Ammonia , Nitrate, Nitrite to test . Of course phosphate and alkalinity will be needed too you can get those later after the cycle
-Tim’s products will allow for a faster cycle 30 days

#3 Salt. Any salt mix will do but you need specific gravity at 1.025-1.026 . Your AUTO TOP OFF will keep this stable if and when you invest in one

#4 Auto top off . You can buy the Tunze I use it and it’s reliable since day 1 there are multiple other brands as well

#5 Powerheads - you get what you pay for but anything can push water, depends if you want to replace them now or in 5 years. Ecotech and Maspect are staples in the hobby. Good gas exchange is key for pH .

#6 Water changes - 10% every week to keep nutrients down and restore minor trace elements

#7 Controller - I would invest in controller to make life easier and catch a power outage. I use apex

OP
OP
j90ramos

j90ramos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#1 RODI unit so you can get 0 TDS water
-You don’t want algae and other bad things growing from bad water
-Buy a TDS meter so you can read your water before mixing salt

#2 Let your rock cycle . You will need test kits Ammonia , Nitrate, Nitrite to test . Of course phosphate and alkalinity will be needed too you can get those later after the cycle
-Tim’s products will allow for a faster cycle 30 days

#3 Salt. Any salt mix will do but you need specific gravity at 1.025-1.026 . Your AUTO TOP OFF will keep this stable if and when you invest in one

#4 Auto top off . You can buy the Tunze I use it and it’s reliable since day 1 there are multiple other brands as well

#5 Powerheads - you get what you pay for but anything can push water, depends if you want to replace them now or in 5 years. Ecotech and Maspect are staples in the hobby. Good gas exchange is key for pH .

#6 Water changes - 10% every week to keep nutrients down and restore minor trace elements

#7 Controller - I would invest in controller to make life easier and catch a power outage. I use apex
Appreciate that breakdown list of recommendation and your help.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you have so much fun ahead of you, except for a dwindling checking account (still worth it)! +1 start with an RODI unit. Check out on YouTube BRS 52 weeks of reefing, it will walk you through everything you need and need to know starting with the initial start up. Consider a build thread here on R2R, I’ll look forward to fallowing!

OP
OP
j90ramos

j90ramos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome, you have so much fun ahead of you, except for a dwindling checking account (still worth it)! +1 start with an RODI unit. Check out on YouTube BRS 52 weeks of reefing, it will walk you through everything you need and need to know starting with the initial start up. Consider a build thread here on R2R, I’ll look forward to fallowing!
Thank you. Think I have watch the one for the 40 gal setup but definitely will check that out

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is spend money where it makes sense but dont always assume more expensive is better and not all the "required" stuff if really needed if you are on a budget. Things like ammonia and nitrite tests for example i would never buy.
Stuff like pricey controllers can certainly simplify things, but far from required if on a budget or just want to wait to get it.

Stuff like lights and powerheads you can go the "cheap" route and grow some amazing coral and in many cases get as good or better longevity out of them. For example i have jebaos that are several years old....and i can buy them for the price of just a wetside for an ecotech(which frequently fail).

OP
OP
j90ramos

j90ramos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My advice is spend money where it makes sense but dont always assume more expensive is better and not all the "required" stuff if really needed if you are on a budget. Things like ammonia and nitrite tests for example i would never buy.
Stuff like pricey controllers can certainly simplify things, but far from required if on a budget or just want to wait to get it.

Stuff like lights and powerheads you can go the "cheap" route and grow some amazing coral and in many cases get as good or better longevity out of them. For example i have jebaos that are several years old....and i can buy them for the price of just a wetside for an ecotech(which frequently fail).
Thank you for your insight. Will have to check out jebaos for powerhead

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I like the BRS videos as well. they are very informative. They give a perspective for the new hobbyist to grasp i know things can get confusing at first but it gets better. By the way you did a good switch!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back