OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tims is great, but, you want to maximize your biodiversity and that can only be accomplished by introducing as many things as possible. I wouldn’t add anything as fast as bacteria goes for at least a month to allow your tank to stabilize, but never be afraid to add bacteria. Some people even dose it weekly with coral snow.

As far as the tidal goes, technically it will only add surface skimming (don’t underestimate that quality) but in my experience it’s the quietest and most reliable HOB pump on the market. The pump goes inside the tank and that keeps it incredibly quiet, it also negates the need to prime the pump. If there was a power outage while you are away, the pump doesn’t need someone to pour water in the back to get it going again. It just comes back on and starts working immediately.

The bio media isn’t necessary but also won’t hurt.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
I have access to a 3d printer and I actually found a file that converts the ac70 to a surface skimmer. Might give that a shot for now and see how i like it.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely it is dust from the rock and sand. You will battle that anytime you stir up the sand for the first few months until you have the biome to support a conch or other creatures that stir up the sand. Just part of the game and nothing to be worried about. To see if it is indeed the sand, just stir up a small spot and see if a lot of dust comes up. I wouldn't go stirring the sand bed up to try and get rid of it though I would just let it be.

As far as adding the extension to the pump, if you have enough flow that won't be necessary. The flow will keep the particles suspended and inevitably they will eventually be sucked up.

How is the stand holding up? That was my initial concern when you first posted

I also highly recommend getting what's called Live Rock Enhance from Reef Brite. It will do wonders for getting that rock ready to support life. Dry rock is a pain but well worth it to start fresh if you have the patience to let it cook for a while before adding coral. Fish will be fine post cycle but definitely wait for the rock to take hold before tossing corals in. The rely heavily on the bacterial presence. Also getting a few jars of galaxy pods (4 jars for $139, worth their weight in gold when starting dry)

Also, don't forget to look into the Seachem Tidal HOB if you want to get some surface skimming action. The 110 is more than a 40B needs but the media chamber for it is massive and you will have enough room to add media in the future like biomedia (2qt will be more than you need) or chemipure blue (5.5oz for your tank size) etc.. I have even seen an instance where someone used the 110 as a refugium but you will get mixed reviews on whether a refugium is worth it or not so you will have to do your own research and make that decision yourself. But I 100% recommend the tidal for surface skimming with only HOB equipment. So if you get to wanting that in the future I would look there first.

As far as a HOB skimmer, you probably wont need one for a while. A lot of systems never get one and rely on water changes and physical media to keep the water clear and clean. But if you're wanting one, you can't go wrong with Reef Octopus, but they are pricey and AquaMaxx makes a great unit that isnt as costly as the Reef Octopus

My first tank back in in the early 2000's was an all HOB tank and I still love seeing HOB setups to this day. You can have a super successful reef with HOB equipment and the maintenance is way easier. Can't wait to watch this tank grow.
That's great info Jeremy. I'm thinking about building a 40g breeder and I copied this info for my use as well.

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got our first fish added to the tank! Meet Nemo and Emo.

20240219_100551.jpg

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is finally in the tank! Waiting for the cloudiness to settle and then going to start the cycle. Will be running dr Tim's one and only and dosing ammonia chloride. Will take a test prior to dosing to see if any ammonia is present from the oceans direct sand.

Bought a cheap 800 gph pump off of Amazon and was able to hook that up to the knock off python siphon system to fill the tank. Was a lot easier than taking 5 gallon buckets in and out of the house.
What brand is that “knock off python”? Where can I get one lol

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was getting ready to do a water change and decided I would test parameters real fast.

Ph 7.8 - been constantly there
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

Really confused as to how the nitrates have dropped from about 10 to zero in roughly 4 days. I had put a bottle of pods from algae barn and been dosing phytoplankton per the recommendations. Can the phytoplankton be reducing the nitrates? Or does chemi pure blue reduce nitrates as well?

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than that, the tank is looking extremely clean but also extremely empty. Currently waiting on my lights to show up, went with 2 noopsyche k7 minis for now. Saw someone on here running three with a 40 breeder and the tank looked great.

Any advice on stocking list? Watchman goby, firefish, six line wrasse, royal gramma?

Edit: how do you get videos to upload?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than that, the tank is looking extremely clean but also extremely empty. Currently waiting on my lights to show up, went with 2 noopsyche k7 minis for now. Saw someone on here running three with a 40 breeder and the tank looked great.

Any advice on stocking list? Watchman goby, firefish, six line wrasse, royal gramma?

Edit: how do you get videos to upload?
Add the sixline last. They are micropredators that can be hit and miss as far as attitude. If you add last all your other fish will have their own hiding spots if it gets mean, and the pods and microfauna and such will give it more to eat and graze on so it'll have an easier time acclimating. Grammas are great fish. They will keep to themselves. They like caves and overhangs but will stand their own if they need to. Brave little buggers. I love mine. He very rarely locks lips with fish twice his size.

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:
My k7 minis showed up and are installed. Possibly going to add a third in the future and shift the filter over to the right side of the tank. Picked up a cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails and and bumblebee snail.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_081413_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_081413_Gallery.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 30

Txoutlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good.i started a 40B a 1yr 1/2 ago and it was doing great until i had to go out of town to work.my gf was slacking on water changes so ive been dealing with GHA and trying to get my sand bed back in order.

Attachments

• 20221206_203309.jpg
    20221206_203309.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240307_134733.jpg
    20240307_134733.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good.i started a 40B a 1yr 1/2 ago and it was doing great until i had to go out of town to work.my gf was slacking on water changes so ive been dealing with GHA and trying to get my sand bed back in order.

I like that setup! Looks good. What are you running in the tank?

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lights have been on for almost a week and still no signs of the ugly stage. Guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Trying to decide what the first coral will be for the tank. Gave the Photone app a shot to check par levels, close to 250 at the peak of the arch.

Attachments

• 20240318_182452.jpg
    20240318_182452.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240318_182448.jpg
    20240318_182448.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have officially lost our first inhabitant, literally don't know where it went. Wife was concerned when she couldn't find Buzz the bumblebee snail last night. Looked everywhere today, even cleaned out the filter thinking he might have gone in, no luck. Other than that, got some ugliest going on, hard to see.

20240330_205946.jpg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't waste your money on Pods yet. They are just dieing. I have a aquamax bullet 3 on my 40b and it's amazing. I culture 12gal of pods. I add them to the tank all the time and they are dead within a couple days. I started mine Christmas day but I did use a small piece of liverock. I suggest adding some livesand. The LR I got gave me dinos the next day and Briopsis. I treated the dinos and started treating the briopsis a couple of days ago. This is why I recommend sand. I do have coralline setting in though.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You aren't ready for a cleanup crew yet. They are all probably going to die. There is nothing to eat. Bumblebee snails are for vermatid snails anyways and they will eat good snails too. Do research before you buy things and don't listen to the LFS. They lie to sell stock.

You need to wait a few months before adding coral. You can speed this up by using a big piece of liverock, but the bad stuff will come with it. You are better off to just wait.

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already tossed a bottle of pods in after the cycle and they have exploded. First month thought I had just wasted money, didn't see anything. Now my tank is covered with pods. I'm sure some are dying off but not all of them after a few days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back