40 gallon breeder - My first tank

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first attempt at keeping a saltwater tank. My plan right now is to keep a few fish and a couple of corals, eventually.

Equipment:
40 gallon breeder tank
Aquaclear 70
2 - koralia 565 pumps
150 heater
40 lbs of caribsea rock
30 lbs ocean direct sand (not pictured)
Lighting - eventually (decent priced opinions?)

Any advice is welcome.

20240129_192511.jpg

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Just make sure that stand is strong enough haha

For lighting, you could go with two ai primes. Thats what I have on my 75-gallon. They grow sps, sofites, lps, anything pretty well. However, if you are going to keep acros, I realized that theres a pretty harsh shadow on some of mine, so im looking into an extra t5 fixture

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first attempt at keeping a saltwater tank. My plan right now is to keep a few fish and a couple of corals, eventually.

Equipment:
40 gallon breeder tank
Aquaclear 70
2 - koralia 565 pumps
150 heater
40 lbs of caribsea rock

Any advice is welcome.

20240129_192511.jpg
Nice looking aquascape!

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment:
40 gallon breeder tank
Aquaclear 70
2 - koralia 565 pumps
150 heater
40 lbs of caribsea rock

Any advice is welcome.
When its comes to lighting, best to do your research. Pay attention to wattage used, color control, and scheduling with an ap or controller. Most decent lights will show you a spectrum graph of their light. The lighting requirements depend on what coral you plan on having, SPS, LPS, and soft corals have specific lighting needs. To get the same level lighting at the color spectrum you want, can run you $500 or $250. shop around

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When its comes to lighting, best to do your research. Pay attention to wattage used, color control, and scheduling with an ap or controller. Most decent lights will show you a spectrum graph of their light. The lighting requirements depend on what coral you plan on having, SPS, LPS, and soft corals have specific lighting needs. To get the same level lighting at the color spectrum you want, can run you $500 or $250. shop around
Thanks for the info. Plan is to start with lps and softies. Eventually a rbta. Might get into some sps after a year or so, once I have a better grasp on everything. I've seen those spectrum graphs on different lighting options but still have no clue what they mean. Still have a couple of months before I add lighting to the tank, should be plenty of time to research everything.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will tell you from my stand point, I'm actually building up a 40 breeder as we speak. I wont be getting SPS corals (feelings at the moment) But my lighting is going to be 2 100w Nicrew hyper reef leds. Could probably get by with 2 50w, but would rather have room for PAR adjustments. This is going to be under $350 for this set up with controller. The previous post mentioned AI primes, getting the lights and mounts would run you about $700 for 120w of power. I am done over paying for LED lights. I have 2 kessil H80 that quit on me on another aquarium, I know none will last forever. But with that said, I looked into other lighting options.

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw those nicrew lights as well, wasn't sure on people's experiences with them. Also have seen those noopsyche lights posted on a few threads here. Here is tonight's project. Little janky stand to get my rodi water going. So far pulling 0 tds, so that's a plus. Hopefully have 40 gallons by tomorrow evening.

Attachments

• 20240131_194731.jpg
    20240131_194731.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing salt and the confusion has already sunk in. Brute 44 gallon trash can, using instant ocean salt. 1/2 cup of salt per gallon stated in the bag for 1.024-1.027. I assumed roughly 40 gallons of rodi water was in the trash can. Poured in 35 - 1/2 cup increments, figured that left me with 5 - 1/2 cups as a buffer to adjust slowly up to 1.025/26. After letting mix, with power head and heater, I'm sitting at 1.030, picture attached.

1) going to make some fresh rodi and make sure calibration is on point.
2) if calibration is good, mix in rodi to dilute back down.

Anyone have a rough idea of how much a brute 44 gallon, with built in wheels, actually holds?

20240202_055540.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is finally in the tank! Waiting for the cloudiness to settle and then going to start the cycle. Will be running dr Tim's one and only and dosing ammonia chloride. Will take a test prior to dosing to see if any ammonia is present from the oceans direct sand.

Bought a cheap 800 gph pump off of Amazon and was able to hook that up to the knock off python siphon system to fill the tank. Was a lot easier than taking 5 gallon buckets in and out of the house.

Attachments

• 20240204_103412.jpg
    20240204_103412.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240204_103414.jpg
    20240204_103414.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 70

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! This is always a exciting step! Everything looks good!

At some point, and depending on how much livestock you add, you might want to invest in a hang on the back protein skimmer. This keeps water clear, and helps keep nutrient levels to a minimum.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that stand strong enough? From the pictures, my concern is it collapsing under the weight of roughly 410lbs. Looks like it will be a fun setup. HOB equipment is a great place to start. If you want some surface skimming action down the line. Look into the Seachem Tidal, it is a HOB filter with a good sized media chamber and skims the surface of the water also.

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that stand strong enough? From the pictures, my concern is it collapsing under the weight of roughly 410lbs. Looks like it will be a fun setup. HOB equipment is a great place to start. If you want some surface skimming action down the line. Look into the Seachem Tidal, it is a HOB filter with a good sized media chamber and skims the surface of the water also.
Sure hope it is, especially now that it is full. Hard to see but there is steel support running throughout the stand.

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! This is always a exciting step! Everything looks good!

At some point, and depending on how much livestock you add, you might want to invest in a hang on the back protein skimmer. This keeps water clear, and helps keep nutrient levels to a minimum.
I figured that might be something I purchase down the road, any advice on which one?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend this, numerous 5 star reviews. And you can save 23 dollars if you but it now!

OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far the cycling process has been extremely easy with the Dr. Tim's one and only. Ammonia is dropping and nitrites are spiking. Was looking at the equipment this morning and had some general questions.
1) just my curiosity with this one. What do you think this white film is that is forming on the equipment? Super easy to wipe off.
2) should I attach the other extension on my filter to get the intake closer to the bottom?

Attachments

• 20240210_083720.jpg
    20240210_083720.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240210_083735.jpg
    20240210_083735.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 40

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far the cycling process has been extremely easy with the Dr. Tim's one and only. Ammonia is dropping and nitrites are spiking. Was looking at the equipment this morning and had some general questions.
1) just my curiosity with this one. What do you think this white film is that is forming on the equipment? Super easy to wipe off.
2) should I attach the other extension on my filter to get the intake closer to the bottom?
most likely it is dust from the rock and sand. You will battle that anytime you stir up the sand for the first few months until you have the biome to support a conch or other creatures that stir up the sand. Just part of the game and nothing to be worried about. To see if it is indeed the sand, just stir up a small spot and see if a lot of dust comes up. I wouldn't go stirring the sand bed up to try and get rid of it though I would just let it be.

As far as adding the extension to the pump, if you have enough flow that won't be necessary. The flow will keep the particles suspended and inevitably they will eventually be sucked up.

How is the stand holding up? That was my initial concern when you first posted

I also highly recommend getting what's called Live Rock Enhance from Reef Brite. It will do wonders for getting that rock ready to support life. Dry rock is a pain but well worth it to start fresh if you have the patience to let it cook for a while before adding coral. Fish will be fine post cycle but definitely wait for the rock to take hold before tossing corals in. The rely heavily on the bacterial presence. Also getting a few jars of galaxy pods (4 jars for $139, worth their weight in gold when starting dry)

Also, don't forget to look into the Seachem Tidal HOB if you want to get some surface skimming action. The 110 is more than a 40B needs but the media chamber for it is massive and you will have enough room to add media in the future like biomedia (2qt will be more than you need) or chemipure blue (5.5oz for your tank size) etc.. I have even seen an instance where someone used the 110 as a refugium but you will get mixed reviews on whether a refugium is worth it or not so you will have to do your own research and make that decision yourself. But I 100% recommend the tidal for surface skimming with only HOB equipment. So if you get to wanting that in the future I would look there first.

As far as a HOB skimmer, you probably wont need one for a while. A lot of systems never get one and rely on water changes and physical media to keep the water clear and clean. But if you're wanting one, you can't go wrong with Reef Octopus, but they are pricey and AquaMaxx makes a great unit that isnt as costly as the Reef Octopus

My first tank back in in the early 2000's was an all HOB tank and I still love seeing HOB setups to this day. You can have a super successful reef with HOB equipment and the maintenance is way easier. Can't wait to watch this tank grow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KochergenJ

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely it is dust from the rock and sand. You will battle that anytime you stir up the sand for the first few months until you have the biome to support a conch or other creatures that stir up the sand. Just part of the game and nothing to be worried about. To see if it is indeed the sand, just stir up a small spot and see if a lot of dust comes up. I wouldn't go stirring the sand bed up to try and get rid of it though I would just let it be.

As far as adding the extension to the pump, if you have enough flow that won't be necessary. The flow will keep the particles suspended and inevitably they will eventually be sucked up.

How is the stand holding up? That was my initial concern when you first posted

I also highly recommend getting what's called Live Rock Enhance from Reef Brite. It will do wonders for getting that rock ready to support life. Dry rock is a pain but well worth it to start fresh if you have the patience to let it cook for a while before adding coral. Fish will be fine post cycle but definitely wait for the rock to take hold before tossing corals in. The rely heavily on the bacterial presence. Also getting a few jars of galaxy pods (4 jars for $139, worth their weight in gold when starting dry)

Also, don't forget to look into the Seachem Tidal HOB if you want to get some surface skimming action. The 110 is more than a 40B needs but the media chamber for it is massive and you will have enough room to add media in the future like biomedia (2qt will be more than you need) or chemipure blue (5.5oz for your tank size) etc.. I have even seen an instance where someone used the 110 as a refugium but you will get mixed reviews on whether a refugium is worth it or not so you will have to do your own research and make that decision yourself. But I 100% recommend the tidal for surface skimming with only HOB equipment. So if you get to wanting that in the future I would look there first.

As far as a HOB skimmer, you probably wont need one for a while. A lot of systems never get one and rely on water changes and physical media to keep the water clear and clean. But if you're wanting one, you can't go wrong with Reef Octopus, but they are pricey and AquaMaxx makes a great unit that isnt as costly as the Reef Octopus

My first tank back in in the early 2000's was an all HOB tank and I still love seeing HOB setups to this day. You can have a super successful reef with HOB equipment and the maintenance is way easier. Can't wait to watch this tank grow.
I'll just let it be and not worry to much about it. Some looked stringy but just cleaned it off and doesn't look like it's coming back.

As for the stand, pretty solid actually. It's metal framed throughout, no creaking or any movement. There's also metal supports running under the top section.

Was actually thinking about picking up some pods to add to the tank, saw the brs videos where they talk about prevention rather then correction. Is the rock enhance adding the same bacteria as the Dr Tim's or is that completely different?

Would the only benefit of the tidal be that it has surface skimming compared to the aquaclear? The aquaclear 70 has a decent amount of space in the back, currently just running a sponge and carbon. Didn't think the bio media was necessary due to rock and sand in the tank.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just let it be and not worry to much about it. Some looked stringy but just cleaned it off and doesn't look like it's coming back.

As for the stand, pretty solid actually. It's metal framed throughout, no creaking or any movement. There's also metal supports running under the top section.

Was actually thinking about picking up some pods to add to the tank, saw the brs videos where they talk about prevention rather then correction. Is the rock enhance adding the same bacteria as the Dr Tim's or is that completely different?

Would the only benefit of the tidal be that it has surface skimming compared to the aquaclear? The aquaclear 70 has a decent amount of space in the back, currently just running a sponge and carbon. Didn't think the bio media was necessary due to rock and sand in the tank.
Dr. Tims is great, but, you want to maximize your biodiversity and that can only be accomplished by introducing as many things as possible. I wouldn’t add anything as fast as bacteria goes for at least a month to allow your tank to stabilize, but never be afraid to add bacteria. Some people even dose it weekly with coral snow.

As far as the tidal goes, technically it will only add surface skimming (don’t underestimate that quality) but in my experience it’s the quietest and most reliable HOB pump on the market. The pump goes inside the tank and that keeps it incredibly quiet, it also negates the need to prime the pump. If there was a power outage while you are away, the pump doesn’t need someone to pour water in the back to get it going again. It just comes back on and starts working immediately.

The bio media isn’t necessary but also won’t hurt.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back