OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. A bit more complex, but I think I can get close enough to keep me happy. Helps having a glass/acrylic shop in town I can get stuff cut for cheap at. Should be a fun little experiment.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. A bit more complex, but I think I can get close enough to keep me happy. Helps having a glass/acrylic shop in town I can get stuff cut for cheap at. Should be a fun little experiment.
Just saw your lighting post and am curious....230 gallons and only some BTAs and softies?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your lighting post and am curious....230 gallons and only some BTAs and softies?

Yeeeeah. I'm more of a fish guy than a Coral guy. Heck, the only reason I want BTAs is so my maroon clowns have a safe space, and softies for a splash of colour and movement. About the fanciest thing I'd consider would be rock flowers and Zoas. :D

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeeeeah. I'm more of a fish guy than a Coral guy. Heck, the only reason I want BTAs is so my maroon clowns have a safe space, and softies for a splash of colour and movement. About the fanciest thing I'd consider would be rock flowers and Zoas. :D
Nothing wrong with that! I need to up my fish game....gonna need some larger breeds for the new tank. The balance of aggression, reef-safe and size is currently overwhelming!

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with that! I need to up my fish game....gonna need some larger breeds for the new tank. The balance of aggression, reef-safe and size is currently overwhelming!

No kidding. I gave up on the reef-safe a long time ago for that reason. Best of luck finding good fits.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, so many questions.

Been going over sump designs, and it looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Have most everything I need. Glass plates need a bit of trimming or replacement to get to the right depths.

Anyways, I am wondering. My skimmer requires "6-8 inches" of depth for optimal performance. Would leave the sump 2/3rds empty. Seems like a bit of a waste. How good or bad of an idea would it be to have the skimmer on a riser to achieve optimal depth? If it's not a bad idea, what's a good way to do it? With a 6" riser I could nearly double the volume of water in the sump.

Also, ran the numbers, even deepest depth I figured, the display could drain 6" of depth (not factoring the pipes) without overflowing the sump in the event of a power outage.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, so many questions.

Been going over sump designs, and it looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Have most everything I need. Glass plates need a bit of trimming or replacement to get to the right depths.

Anyways, I am wondering. My skimmer requires "6-8 inches" of depth for optimal performance. Would leave the sump 2/3rds empty. Seems like a bit of a waste. How good or bad of an idea would it be to have the skimmer on a riser to achieve optimal depth? If it's not a bad idea, what's a good way to do it? With a 6" riser I could nearly double the volume of water in the sump.

Also, ran the numbers, even deepest depth I figured, the display could drain 6" of depth (not factoring the pipes) without overflowing the sump in the event of a power outage.
Definitely go with the riser. You might need a wave pump in the sump to keep the water moving under the skimmer.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. What would make a good riser? I'm thinking something like a cut down milk crate or bucket, with drilled holes so water doesn't stagnate.

After looking at a bunch of sump designs, measurements, I think I have something that will work. Maybe. I don't know.

Pretty much the drains have their own compartment that overflows into the mechanical filters, sponges, socks, floss, or whatever should go in there. Water flows under a partition into the skimmer section. Flowing up and down another partition into the refugium. I figure maybe that will help push the flow of water through the whole compartment, not just across the top. Likely have some rock in there too. Bubbletrap into the last section that will house the heaters and I believe this is also the best place for the ATO? Then the return up to the top of the tank.

The depth has to be what it is or shallower, as with a 6" riser, I have 2" of clearance between the skimmer and stand.

I will accept any and all criticisms and/or suggestions.

Attachments

• DSC_2710.JPG
    DSC_2710.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_2711.JPG
    DSC_2711.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 23

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your measurements in the images in metric or imperial? If it's inches your area for the heaters is huge and so is your bubble trap,
With how much space you have you could consider having a section to put problem or injured fish (I'll call it a isolation chamber) also a great place to keep frags or live rock or anything else your breeding/keeping for food for your main display?.
You also don't need the double plate between skimmer and refugium in fact you probably don't want it if your going to be turning Chato in that area because your flow will be moving across the middle of that area and not over the top to turn it.
I don't think it really matters where you have your heater to be honest as your heater is always going to be sensing the temp of the water coming to it not going from it. If your heater is right close to the return pump your display will be warmer than your sump but not by much as you should have about 4x flow through your sump so should be fairly constant at any time.
Another thing to consider is with your refugium right close to your return line to make sure you have a comb or something to stop cheto from going into your pump, might be a good idea to put a isolation chamber between them?
Also I would look into having a roller matt instead of socks as it's way easier and cleaner to use a roller matt and you don't have to pull them out every 3 days to go in your washing machine and bleach them - I made my own manual roller matt and it works great I've put it in 3 weeks ago and I turn it once a day and haven't had to change it once.

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just thought I should point out your water height will always be dictated by what ever height the flow over is on the right and with your design there is no need to have fall. Fall just adds to the noise in the system.
Also be careful that your sump will evaporate from the last section (where you have the heaters) so it's a bit of a risk having the heaters located in that section I would be more inclined to put them under your skimmer. (If it's not full of live rock!)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The units are imperial, yes, as much as I like the metric system, it's just a habit from working in shops. :)

It is big, but I'll be using 2 400 watt heaters. I figured the extra room would be good for the evaporation thing. The heaters will be horizontal on the bottom, and with the height of the return bulkhead, the pump will run dry before the heaters are exposed. Was going to cram rock around the skimmer.

Yup, I was going to have a strainer type thing on the return too, for that exact reason. And to keep any snails or whatever out.

I was also thinking of just piling a bunch of floss and filter sponges and such instead of filter socks. I don't really have a preferred method of mechanical filtration.

Noted on the baffles. Makes my life a bit easier. Thank you.

Back