first sump, Please advise

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've never run a sump but I think it would be beneficial. My tank is only 30 gallons and I was thinking about a small Eshop 75 nano because I also only have an 18" space to work with in the stand, so any thoughts on that would be great. My real question is about matching the flow from the overflow and the intake. Is it typically done by a ball valve to control the speed of flow into the sump or do I need to find a pump with an adjustable speed? Thank you in advance.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've never run a sump but I think it would be beneficial. My tank is only 30 gallons and I was thinking about a small Eshop 75 nano because I also only have an 18" space to work with in the stand, so any thoughts on that would be great. My real question is about matching the flow from the overflow and the intake. Is it typically done by a ball valve to control the speed of flow into the sump or do I need to find a pump with an adjustable speed? Thank you in advance.

So what are you planning on runnin in your sump?

To answer your real question, there's a few different overflow plumbing setups you can use. Herbie, Bean-Animal, or Durso. A durso would be my suggestion, it's the most silent outside of the Bean animal and easiest to plumb. It is completely self-regulating flow wise.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps usually run @ about 1/2 full to have room for water drain on a power shut down.
How much does that give you & is there enough of an increase to warrant it?

OP
OP
R

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are you planning on runnin in your sump?

To answer your real question, there's a few different overflow plumbing setups you can use. Herbie, Bean-Animal, or Durso. A durso would be my suggestion, it's the most silent outside of the Bean animal and easiest to plumb. It is completely self-regulating flow wise.
I was really thinking I would have the sump set up with some filter socks a skimmer and a uv light. no refug. and just some stones and maybe some carbon

OP
OP
R

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps usually run @ about 1/2 full to have room for water drain on a power shut down.
How much does that give you & is there enough of an increase to warrant it?
right but when I'm plumbing it do I need to adjust the rate of intake or output, or both? How is yours set?

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right but when I'm plumbing it do I need to adjust the rate of intake or output, or both? How is yours set?

It will automatically match your return pump. The drain lines shouldn't run a full siphon. So as the pump pumps more water up, water level rises in the tank, which means more water runs into the wier, which means the drain line drains more water. Its really simple once you see it run.

OP
OP
R

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will automatically match your return pump. The drain lines shouldn't run a full siphon. So as the pump pumps more water up, water level rises in the tank, which means more water runs into the wier, which means the drain line drains more water. Its really simple once you see it run.
ohhhhhhhhh. well I feel stupid now, I suppose that would be how that worked but thank you I see I was over thinking that. I just didn't want to flood my house with the first attempt.

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1 inch pipe can passively drain around 900 gallons per hour. Using a second 1 inch drain pipe as a backup emergency and creating a full siphon in your main drain using a ball/gate valve you can handle much more. You absolutely must run a backup drain if you’re running a full siphon imo to prevent flooding. My suggestion is use a pump in your sump rated to turn over your systems water capacity between 5-10x per hour. Also remember the pump will be dealing with head pressure which will reduce its flow so take that into account and when selecting a pump.
Lastly, it has always been my opinion that your protein skimmer should be able to handle the flow you’re putting through your sump. Why, you may ask? Well, for example, if your skimmer can only handle 150 gph and your running 300 gph through your sump you can expect that only 50% of your water will be cleaned.

OP
OP
R

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1 inch pipe can passively drain around 900 gallons per hour. Using a second 1 inch drain pipe as a backup emergency and creating a full siphon in your main drain using a ball/gate valve you can handle much more. You absolutely must run a backup drain if you’re running a full siphon imo to prevent flooding. My suggestion is use a pump in your sump rated to turn over your systems water capacity between 5-10x per hour. Also remember the pump will be dealing with head pressure which will reduce its flow so take that into account and when selecting a pump.
Lastly, it has always been my opinion that your protein skimmer should be able to handle the flow you’re putting through your sump. Why, you may ask? Well, for example, if your skimmer can only handle 150 gph and your running 300 gph through your sump you can expect that only 50% of your water will be cleaned.
Great information and insight! thank you

Ultrawalrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a sump on my 29g last weekend. I too had never used one before and was nervous and overthinking everything. Space under my stand was limited and I had an old 10g in the garage that I turned into the sump. My only reason for using the sump was to get all the stuff (hob skimmer, seachem hob filter, and heater) out of the display. I also was worrying about the same pump issues. After was all said and done, it really just seemed to work itself out. I was defiantly overthinking it... Now that I have the sump, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back. I could really notice a positive change will everything in the tank. Water seems much clearer too.

OP
OP
R

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a sump on my 29g last weekend. I too had never used one before and was nervous and overthinking everything. Space under my stand was limited and I had an old 10g in the garage that I turned into the sump. My only reason for using the sump was to get all the stuff (hob skimmer, seachem hob filter, and heater) out of the display. I also was worrying about the same pump issues. After was all said and done, it really just seemed to work itself out. I was defiantly overthinking it... Now that I have the sump, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back. I could really notice a positive change will everything in the tank. Water seems much clearer too.
Thats pretty much the same reason I want to do it, I have all of that equipment crowding my display tank. Honestly I'm not worried about the filter aspect of it so much, just adding some water volume and a place to put all that junk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back