First tank, basic 24 gallon system

DHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank and has been in operation for just about 1 year. The tank is an Aquatop 24 gallon ECO series package which I bought at my LFS. I am using the stock Aquatop skimmer, filters, pumps and lighting and it has worked well so far.
I am having an interesting time and learning a lot.

Fish:
Pajama Cardinal, Royal Gramma, Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Ocellarius Clown.
had: Orange FireFish (disappeared), Bicolor Blenny (destroyed by accident)
Inverts:
Turbo Snails (3), Hermit Crabs (3), Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Corals:
Green Stars, Zoanthids (4), Red Corralimorphs, Orange Ricordia (now Green), Open Brain Coral (3), Chalice, Monitipora

I exchange 5 gallons of water (bought from my LFZ) weekly. I monitor water chemistry using an API Master Reef Test kit.
Currently I have a low pH (8.0 or less) and high Alkalinity (15 dKh) which I am attempting to correct with a BRS CO2 Scrubber. In 5 days, not much effect.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0123.JPEG IMG_0145.JPEG IMG_0149.JPEG

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done aquarium. :)

A couple thoughts on your high alk:
If your not dosing alk and your buying water from your LFS, then the high alk is coming from the store. I’d ask them what brand salt they use and if they do free testing, watch them test their own water. See what their alk reading is.

OP
OP
DHH

DHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good looking tank!
Well done aquarium. :)

A couple thoughts on your high alk:
If your not dosing alk and your buying water from your LFS, then the high alk is coming from the store. I’d ask them what brand salt they use and if they do free testing, watch them test their own water. See what their alk reading is.
They are using Reef Crystals. I checked the purchased water a few weeks ago: pH 7.9-8.0, Ca 340-360, dKh 10, using my test kit. I add Aquavitro Calcination to get the Ca up to about 420. Appreciate your thoughts.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 161 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back