OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test results are in!

Pretty much what I expected after dosing amonium chloride last night. I waited on the Bio-spira but will be adding it tonight to get some bacteria going.

0C48E892-6717-4249-B8FD-4400EA0063A0.jpeg

I went with the larger of the two bottles. The smaller one said up to 30 gallons and I would be right at the max. Figured more bacteria couldn’t hurt anyway.

F5E5FE7B-0486-47ED-9451-C63AE08E2FB5.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find a lot of info of this 2018 model but decided to give it a try anyway. Went with the Jebao CP-90 Cross Flow powerhead. Supposed to work similar to the Gyre. I will shoot a video once it comes in tomorrow and I get time to install it.

D32B33A3-5E08-4C28-A455-69509C4FED4A.jpeg

KingReef16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build so far! Following along!
On the topic of rocks - I think the rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon. That being said, I think your scape looks good!

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results for today. Ammonia dropped, nitrite went up to about 2.0 (maybe a little higher), and nitrate looks like 30ppm. Ph has also dropped so I’m going to add some buffer tonight. I think I’m looking good so far?

82F7D8D5-0B80-4326-B64A-CAE0EF72570D.jpeg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results for today. Ammonia dropped, nitrite went up to about 2.0 (maybe a little higher), and nitrate looks like 30ppm. Ph has also dropped so I’m going to add some buffer tonight. I think I’m looking good so far?

82F7D8D5-0B80-4326-B64A-CAE0EF72570D.jpeg
I wouldn't add any buffer yet. Get your bacteria established and let things develop. Take your time. Adding stuff to chase numbers leads to adding more stuff to chase numbers and then adding stuff to reverse things. Stick with ammonia source and bacteria for now.

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any buffer yet. Get your bacteria established and let things develop. Take your time. Adding stuff to chase numbers leads to adding more stuff to chase numbers and then adding stuff to reverse things. Stick with ammonia source and bacteria for now.

Thanks. Well noted!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started slow and inexpensive. The live aquaria website has a cool feature to let you pick tank size and it reccomends appropriate species. I started with a single firefish. Fed it pellets to keep down the extra waste. Let the bacteria catch up for a week or two then add another fish.

I really like my yellow watchman goby, and my Royal Gramma. Firefish is cool too. Lawnmower blenny is the funniest, but you will need algae for them to eat.

Tiger Sand Conch is my coolest cuc.

For the biocube stock lighting you will want easy corals like mushrooms, zoas, and toadstools.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me. When ammonia and nitrites are zero for a couple days, do a 20% water change and try to get nitrates <10. Then add a SMALL amount of ammonia and see that it is consumed overnight. Then you can add 1 fish. You have to realize that your tank is in its infancy now and GO SLOW. Let the bacteria catch up to its first bioload, test every other day (or whenever things look sketchy) and be ready to do water changes as needed to reduce nitrates. Then add 1 or 2 small CUC. I hate crabs... Get CUC that eat waste.

After a couple weeks, add 1 more fish. Let the bacteria adjust to the new bioload for a week or so, and then add another fish. Now you can add more CUC and start freaking out about algae and cyanobacteria!!!!

Then I would add some simple coral frags and take out a loan. This gets expensive!

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me. When ammonia and nitrites are zero for a couple days, do a 20% water change and try to get nitrates <10. Then add a SMALL amount of ammonia and see that it is consumed overnight. Then you can add 1 fish. You have to realize that your tank is in its infancy now and GO SLOW. Let the bacteria catch up to its first bioload, test every other day (or whenever things look sketchy) and be ready to do water changes as needed to reduce nitrates. Then add 1 or 2 small CUC. I hate crabs... Get CUC that eat waste.

After a couple weeks, add 1 more fish. Let the bacteria adjust to the new bioload for a week or so, and then add another fish. Now you can add more CUC and start freaking out about algae and cyanobacteria!!!!

Then I would add some simple coral frags and take out a loan. This gets expensive!

Lol. I hope my hobby addiction doesn’t get to that level where I need a loan.

Your plan seems solid. My only real difference was going to be add cuc before the fish. Is this ok? My hope was it would buy me some additional time on deciding on fish and coral.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back