OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5 Test Results

Ph slightly low but not that bad after dosing buffer last night. Ammonia is zero like earlier. Nurture and nitrate still very high. Results seem as expected. No plans to dose anything tonight. Just will retest again tomorrow and go from there.

48DDBC5B-152B-4883-A6D1-EEDC124E9A77.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a pretty good deal on the intank media basket for Black Friday. It was $53.54 so I pulled the trigger and ordered it. I am going to run floss on top and Chemi-pure blue below. Picked that up and some additional reef buffer and got 15% off that as well.

I think it’s time to hide my credit card until I am ready for animals, !!

F0EA3AB1-0122-45F0-8D0D-2B39CE64111D.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 Test Results

Ph is low as usual. Going to add some buffer tonight because I will also be doing a 2ppm dose of ammonium chloride. The ammonium always seems to tank the ph. Ammonia is zero still. Nitrite is still high but nitrate seems to be a little less than yesterday.

2DFFC1C8-3CA6-43D0-B8E6-D1ED584301F3.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving!

Day 7 Test Results

Ph a little low but not bad, ammonia is zero after dosing 2ppm last night. This tells me I have plenty of the first bacteria and I should be getting close with my cycle. Nitrite and nitrate are still high. Doing nothing else tonight. Just going to wait out another day.

7591E21B-F5AD-4DDC-9DD9-C141E1EDC7E2.jpeg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the InTank filtration as well. I have filter floss in the top rack, some cheato growing in the middle section, and right now Purigen in the bottom (Also in the Biocube 32). I've tried plain old carbon mixed with a little GFO, Chemipure and Purigen. So far I like ROX 0.8 carbon and GFO mix the best, I'll be going back to that this weekend.

The Jebao looks nice! I'm tempted now.

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the InTank filtration as well. I have filter floss in the top rack, some cheato growing in the middle section, and right now Purigen in the bottom (Also in the Biocube 32). I've tried plain old carbon mixed with a little GFO, Chemipure and Purigen. So far I like ROX 0.8 carbon and GFO mix the best, I'll be going back to that this weekend.

The Jebao looks nice! I'm tempted now.

Thanks for sharing! I am going to do some reading on your media choices.

The Jebao is nice. Just hoping it holds up. So far it’s running just like day one

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 Test Results

I know Thanksgiving was yesterday but could it already be an early Christmas today...

Ph is pretty good, just a bit low. Ammonia is zero. Nitrite is dropping!! Looks to be about .35ppm. Nitrates are high but no worries here. I think the cycle is getting close to complete. I am getting really excited now!

6777F81C-7720-4AC7-AE54-9C6308917D82.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Inkbird is working great. Besides having an extra layer of protection it also lets you dial in the temperature range much more exact. I would say a very well spent $20!

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9 Test Results

Ph looks good, ammonia and nitrite both zero!! Going to dose 2ppm of ammonium chloride tonight and hopefully tomorrow I get zero again for both ammonia and nitrite.

F5748F6A-4476-45AA-ADAF-12415095DA32.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10 Test Results

Everything looks perfect. My tank is officially cycled!!

Going to do a 25% water change tonight to get the nitrates down. They are not that high but I might as well change out the water already.

Now it’s time to get a small CUC going and to pick out a first fish!!!

C70EB8EB-ACD9-4466-AE5D-4F385E61C799.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking 2 turbo snails and 2 scarlet hermit crabs to start for cuc. For my first fish I decided on a Coral Beauty? I think scarlets are awesome looking and the CB has strong pretty colors. So excited I will finally have something more than rocks, sand and water to look at tomorrow!

Not sure if my lfs will even have a CB in stock but I better double check to make sure the water still tests good in my QT tank just in case.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10 Test Results

Everything looks perfect. My tank is officially cycled!!

Going to do a 25% water change tonight to get the nitrates down. They are not that high but I might as well change out the water already.

Now it’s time to get a small CUC going and to pick out a first fish!!!

C70EB8EB-ACD9-4466-AE5D-4F385E61C799.jpeg

nice! to verify you can dose ammonia up to 2-3ppm. if it drops to zero within 8-12 hours then you’re cycled.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking 2 turbo snails and 2 scarlet hermit crabs to start for cuc. For my first fish I decided on a Coral Beauty? I think scarlets are awesome looking and the CB has strong pretty colors. So excited I will finally have something more than rocks, sand and water to look at tomorrow!

Not sure if my lfs will even have a CB in stock but I better double check to make sure the water still tests good in my QT tank just in case.

turbos are good but they can get big and knock stuff over. then also can’t right themselves if they get knocked on their side or back. i prefer trochus for glass and nassarius for sand.

crabs can kill and eat your snails but a couple small ones would be ok.

coral beauty angels can nip at coral.

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turbos are good but they can get big and knock stuff over. then also can’t right themselves if they get knocked on their side or back. i prefer trochus for glass and nassarius for sand.

crabs can kill and eat your snails but a couple small ones would be ok.

coral beauty angels can nip at coral.

I appreciate the feedback on this. My rocks are not glued. Just using gravity so those snails might be an issue

Back