OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs only had turbo snails in stock and I am impatient so I got two of them. If they become an issue with knocking things over my lfs said they would take them back for store credit. Also picked up two beautiful scarlet hermits. Everyone looks happy in their new home!

9DF3E2A7-76FC-4E51-9E01-798AFB629F87.jpeg

94322744-436C-417E-AFC1-55913ABCD0EA.jpeg

7172FFC3-3182-4FCC-8571-020226A190BE.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Intank media filter just arrived. Is it safe to change out the stock filter and media at this point or should I wait a while? Just not sure I will still have enough of my good bacteria if I remove it since I used dry rock and the tank is newly cycled.

@Katrina71 @cromag27

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What media are you using other than the stock filter cartridge?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scarlet hermits are two happy little campers. They are loving all the rock to climb on and hide in. They both slept on the very top of the rock pile last night. Kings of the mountain, haha!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your beneficial bacteria will be mostly in your sand and/or rock.

not a fan of the intank products but hopefully it will work for you!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, his stuff is awesome! You got yours before he premiered his. I don't even have one yet.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. I'm saving for mine.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Intank media filter just arrived. Is it safe to change out the stock filter and media at this point or should I wait a while? Just not sure I will still have enough of my good bacteria if I remove it since I used dry rock and the tank is newly cycled.

@Katrina71 @cromag27

Take that stock filter cartridge and put it in the empty space next to the media basket. Keep it for now. It will help kickstart the new media. I had high hopes for coraline, but you will find, with dry rock, it takes a long time to get going. Feed that clean up crew something.

I think the Coral Angel Beauty will eventually be too big for a 32 gallon, especially with all that rock. Also, that is an aggressive fish. If you are going to get one, add it last.

You should add in the order of LEAST aggressive to most aggressive. This gives the passive fish time to learn their surroundings and find safe places to hide. The Coral Beauty will claim the whole tank and terrorize any new fish you put in.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Cube Family! I've had mine for a little over a year now, with a house move at the ~6 month mark, and the tank is really settling in nice now. As you can see there are tons of options. Most will suggest taking the top off and adding a better light. If you do that, I would highly suggest a custom cover. I purchased one from @cromag27 , and couldn't be happier! Definitely get the feed door if you buy from him. Depending on the model you have, he might also have a template for your tank...should speed up the process a bit.

I had an intank basket prior to adding a skimmer to my tank when I used purigen and chemi-pure blue, but I've seen taken that out, and run an AquaMaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer. I"ve also upgraded my return pump to a Sicce 3.0, and LOVE IT! You have to put a splitter on your return though, and even that being said you need to dial back the flow (I use 2 RFG nozzles from @Vivid Creative Aquatics .

My other suggestion with the small tank, don't put any hermits in there other than the ones that stay small!

It's a great tank, good luck!

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take that stock filter cartridge and put it in the empty space next to the media basket. Keep it for now. It will help kickstart the new media. I had high hopes for coraline, but you will find, with dry rock, it takes a long time to get going. Feed that clean up crew something.

I think the Coral Angel Beauty will eventually be too big for a 32 gallon, especially with all that rock. Also, that is an aggressive fish. If you are going to get one, add it last.

You should add in the order of LEAST aggressive to most aggressive. This gives the passive fish time to learn their surroundings and find safe places to hide. The Coral Beauty will claim the whole tank and terrorize any new fish you put in.

That’s a great idea for the stock filter transition! I did realize because I cycled with lights off I had very little or no algae for the cuc to eat. I picked up some pleco wafers to keep them happy until algae starts to grow.

I think I have made my first newbie mistake. I now know I need to wait longer for more responses before I make decisions. Part of it is me just being impatient, part is I do really like the coral beauty and am willing to roll dice that I won’t get a biter, lol. If not, I do have a few options to rehome it.

Other fish I want are two clowns and maybe watchman goby/pistol shrimp or lawnmower blenny and wrasse or blood red fire shrimp. My lfs said it’s early for shrimp and had no blenny in stock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back