First Tank Ever - BioCube 32 Newbie Build

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I hope my hobby addiction doesn’t get to that level where I need a loan.

Your plan seems solid. My only real difference was going to be add cuc before the fish. Is this ok? My hope was it would buy me some additional time on deciding on fish and coral.

The CUC will need something to eat. A fish, and you feeding the fish will feed the CUC. You also don't need to add the entire CUC all at once. Think of it as getting a maid for your fish.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I was referring to filter media
Oh, sorry...
You need filter media now. It is where a lot of beneficial bacteria will live. Google biocube filter mods for ideas. I yanked the stock filter rank and did 2 big vertical sponges, a bag of rock rubble, a floss pad across the top, and I added purfiltrum after I got my second fish.

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, sorry...
You need filter media now. It is where a lot of beneficial bacteria will live. Google biocube filter mods for ideas. I yanked the stock filter rank and did 2 big vertical sponges, a bag of rock rubble, a floss pad across the top, and I added purfiltrum after I got my second fish.

Thanks so much for all the help. I will make that tonight’s research project while I watch football.

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3
Ph is low but not as low as yesterday. The buffing seemed to help. Ammonia is zero or very close, nitrite and nitrate look to be about the same. Maybe a little more nitrate.

4A24D676-C833-4AC5-8BA1-46678CA6C8CF.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy day. Had lots I was trying to get done with the tanks tonight. Mission accomplished!

Day 4 Test Results

Ph is again low, ammonia almost zero and this is after I did a 2.o ppm dose of ammonium chloride last night. I definitely can process that ammonia. Now if those darn little nitrite lovers would hurry up, lol.

D1AF55EB-F7FA-4B2D-A577-5FBE785A2EF2.jpeg

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy day. Had lots I was trying to get done with the tanks tonight. Mission accomplished!

Day 4 Test Results

Ph is again low, ammonia almost zero and this is after I did a 2.o ppm dose of amonium chloride last night. I definitely can process that ammonia. Now if those darn little nitrite lovers would hurry up, lol.

D1AF55EB-F7FA-4B2D-A577-5FBE785A2EF2.jpeg

how much time does it take for ammonia to go from 2ppm to zero?

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hob, heater and glass top came in so I was able to finish up my QT/hospital tank.

3B627C10-58DE-4F6A-9B65-5534AA15BF86.jpeg

QT/Hospital Tank Equipment

Marineland 10g tank
Eheim Jager 150w heater (Even though this is overkill it’s the same as I have in main tank so I can use for an emergency spare.)
AquaClear 20 hob filter
Zacro digital thermometer
Aqueon 500 powerhead
Perfecto glass aquarium canopy 20” x 10” (Got this from my lfs. This is nice because it lets you make cutouts for hob, wires, etc.)

ED99CA92-4BA5-4D4B-8986-D996900479FC.jpeg

OP
OP
Unskilled Reefer

Unskilled Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first ever video and doing this one handed while trying to keep focus was a challenge. So please don’t be too harsh on my videography, lol. My ph was low so I mixed up some buffer in a bottle. I was hoping this would help show water flow since my tank is still empty. It didn’t show up the greatest on camera and I can only dose once so I could not reshoot. Hopefully you get the idea.

This pump seemed very quiet. Pay attention to the volume level on the controller button clicking vs the pump noise itself. Even on full speed which happens throughout while I cycle through the 4 modes and at the end where I keep it on full.

I have a thermometer in the bottom back right corner below the pump and blocked by rock and it was swaying pretty good.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I can do my best on answering them.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed last night to 2ppm. When I checked tonight (approx 10pm) it looked to be close to zero. So somewhere between 24-36 hours is my guess.

on the right track. next time when when you can check again 8-12 hours later. see if it’s zero.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might like it vertical on the left side. Large rock structure like my son. You'll see where your flow issues are when you start getting cyano.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back