First tank- Help with coral selection and placement

I would add 10 pounds or more of real ocean live rock. Hitchhikers come in 2 flavors, bad and good. check my tank thread to see how my live rock journey turned out. I would leave my rocks unglued because sometimes it is helpful to be able to pull out a rock where you know a bad hitchhiker is living. It adds SOOOOO much biodiversity, both macro and micro. I have done dry rock and struggled. I would never start another tank without using "Real Ocean Live Rock".
Will do then! I will buy some more tomorrow, there's a guy that sells live rocks from his sump of an sps tank that's been running over 5 years for 7eur/kg really close to my place.
 
Will do then! I will buy some more tomorrow, there's a guy that sells live rocks from his sump of an sps tank that's been running over 5 years for 7eur/kg really close to my place.
That is "live rock". Not bad, but not the same as "Real Ocean Live Rock", and not nearly as powerful. Obviously you could not order from this company in Tampa Florida, but look around their website to see what the difference is. https://tbsaltwater.com/
 
That is "live rock". Not bad, but not the same as "Real Ocean Live Rock", and not nearly as powerful. Obviously you could not order from this company in Tampa Florida, but look around their website to see what the difference is. https://tbsaltwater.com
Oh I see! It's rock that's been left to mature in the sea! Which got me thinking, the beach from my place is literally a 5 minutes walk. What if I buy a bunch of dead rock and leave a pile in a certain place inside the water for few months and use.it in my tank or a new build? But I don't know if the microfauna will survive reef conditions. Our salinity here is 37-38ppt and temps rarely go above 18-20 deg C in the water.
 
Oh I see! It's rock that's been left to mature in the sea! Which got me thinking, the beach from my place is literally a 5 minutes walk. What if I buy a bunch of dead rock and leave a pile in a certain place inside the water for few months and use.it in my tank or a new build? But I don't know if the microfauna will survive reef conditions. Our salinity here is 37-38ppt and temps rarely go above 18-20 deg C in the water.
In the US the activities you describe are not legal without the proper permits. Please review your local regulations about collection.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new