OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be running the carbon and gfo that came with the caddy yet, or wait for live stock?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be running the carbon and gfo that came with the caddy yet, or wait for live stock?

Gfo is for phosphates. If your phosphates are high then run if you want but if not then don’t do it yet. You’ll be waiting money since stuff only last for 4-8 weeks.

Carbon is to remove all the bad stuff and since you got nothing in there wouldn’t bother with that either

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon based on the sniff test. If it doesn’t smell like “fresh ocean”, I add carbon. As a tank cycles it may develop some unique odors which carbon will help with. It’s cheap.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a phosphate test kit yet but I'm assuming I don't want them in the tank?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a phosphate test kit yet but I'm assuming I don't want them in the tank?

I wouldn't worry about testing for this regularly. Its also a bear to test for, as you'll want an Ultra-Low Range Hanna checker to get enough resolution worth worrying about. I also can't tell you the last time I used mine - its just not a number I really bother looking at

Phosphates in excess are a prime algae fuel.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I won't worry about it for now! But if I have an algae outburst it might be time to put the gfo in?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I won't worry about it for now! But if I have an algae outburst it might be time to put the gfo in?

I wouldn't rush to GFO, but it is an option. New tanks always have a few algae phases as they settle in - a bit of trimming and manual control is usually enough for those.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started I used tap water and kept the lights on for like 16hrs when it was cycling. Algae was out of control then I used RODI water and fixed the problem. My phosphates were still little high then my RODI using stopped working same time my fish got ich so I had no fish in the tank and hair algae was going nuts. Then I built a refug with chaeto and run gfo and my phosphates are .04ppm. I sell my chaeto to my lfs ever other week and get some more frags with that money. If you have an issue later run gfo and/or make a refugium. When you grow chaeto it out competes the algae in the tank so it will grow in your sump instead of your DT.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to the club. Nice set up, really like the stand. Lots of good videos to explain everything from start to finish. BRS, Marine Depot has some of the best. BTW did you add any Bacteria like Dr Tims?

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bio spira I got from my lfs and also about 10lbs of live rock from them aswella

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bio spira I got from my lfs and also about 10lbs of live rock from them aswella
Your off to a good start. Best of luck

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Does anyone have any experience with the aqamia powerhead/wave maker? Flow seems kind of weak for the tank but maybe it's just me.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also when you add the bacteria you dont want to run the skimmer. Let it take hold. you can also add a different brand to get different strands going whenever you want, like when you add your first fish is always a good time.
Dr Tims is believed to be one of the best and I keep some on hand.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks! How long should I keep the skimmer off?

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for you guys, here are my current light setting I'm running 2% Royal blue 1% violet at night with the lunar setting on. Am I ok to have the lights on all night or should I have a period of everything off?
Screenshot_20190123-082607.png

Last edited:

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for you guys, here are my current light setting I'm running 2% Royal blue 1% violet at night with the lunar setting on. Am I ok to have the lights on all night or should I have a period of everything off?
Screenshot_20190123-082607.png
I keep mind off it gives the fish time to rest and my eel gets time to do his thing at night. Not sure if 2% will make a difference though. Would just keep em off if they are that low

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current water perameters are temp 77, pH 8.2, ammonia .2, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, salinity 1.025, alkalinity 9. Do all these sound normal?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good you wanna try and get ammonia, nitrate and nitrite to 0 but when the tank cycles you’ll see it will spike and when it goes down that’s a good indicator the tank is done cycling.

If your going to keep coral then you’ll need to keep alkalinity at 9. That’s at least what I use along with a bunch of others. Some might suggest higher but that’s where I keep mine. You didn’t mention calcium thats pretty important when keeping corals also. Should aim for 420 with calcium.

You probably won’t have to worry about it tbat much if you do weekly water changes. Unless you have a bunch of sps to start then having a few corals will be fine but if you test and notice that water changes aren’t able to keep up with these elements then you will have to start dosing. I didn’t start dosing till about 4-5 months in

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back