Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the after!...
Screenshot_20230401_063700_Photos.jpg
now one thing that also drove my wife crazy was emptying the protien skimmer.. she freakin hated that.. and I dont blame her, this was my hobby and it stinks.. so one thing I failed to mention in earlier posts is that my garage is opposite this wall and I had issues with my tank overheating. So I bought a chiller, but I wasnt about to have that thing inside running all the time so I drilled a 3 inch hole through the wall behind the cabinet.

Fast forward and now I have 3 all at a perfect level for one main reason.. I needed it below the collection cup on my protein skimmer.

Now I run a hydros and on that hydros is a 12v power plug directly on the hydros. So I ordered 2 of those plugs and man was it hard to cut the end off that perfectly good plug but I had an idea and I was praying it would work..
1000252057.jpg

So I ordered a 12v ball valve that was normally closed.. now this valve if its open once you turn off the hydros it closes under its own power, and that was important because the hydros and only turn off or on so I vould open the valve but how would I close it.. so this was perfect.. I put a 1/2 union of the dump hose and ran the line through the wall and outside. As well as power and set up the app and bam to my surprise it worked... all in a boot and crutches mind you lol..
20230330_234636.jpg

And the app
1000252060.jpg

1000252061.jpg

Both problems solved so now no more wife complaints lol

OP
OP
Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was layed up for like 9 months and I was getting around ok but something kept bugging me.. i had 3 frag racks in my display and I hated it.. it was too much. And Ive been a woodworker for 30 plus years so I was In the garage and I thought what if I put a frag tank out here?

But with my woodworking that wouldn't work cuz of all the dust.. then the idea of making a cabinet where the doors are sealed with ventilation fans crossed my mind.. man I could not let that idea go.. so I got after it..
So here's where it started.
20230616_120916.jpg

So first this was recycled old crap that I was using for storage the chiller and algea scrubber.. Ill post the steps I took in another post.

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after I made the base I need to dress it up. I wanted it to look kinda on the older worn side. Like Ive had it for years so I wanted to add moldings and fluted columns. And I have zero explanations as to why I built a hutch with a lid that can open. The total height is almost 7ft, and let me tell you why.. I cant tell you how much I had when I see a beautiful tank and I have to lean over to look at it. So the top of the stand sits at 4.5ft tall so the display is right in your face when you see it.
That trim is gorgeous and classy!

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I got home from the hospital my best buddy moved my recliner right in front of my tank ... but man all that did was let me stare at it and ponder which for reefers thats never a good idea lol..
20230308_131349.jpg

My view

So 3 weeks of sitting on my butt and staring at this thing I kept getting on sales and just staring and fraghousecorals.com had a sale.. and I felt ok I'm feeling brave enough to try some acro's.. I freakin order 22 frags.. so dumb. But i didnt stop the stupid there.
20230317_110355.jpg

And now I have 3 frag racks lol
My husband laughs at me for my 3am sprees for after-sales. Yeah. I got 25 the last ebay auction... You're not alone in the stupid.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back