First tank, rookie reefer. Overwhelmed at first!

Robg139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in the hobby about 2 months started because I got hurt at work broke my ankle and picked up this hobby was always really interested in it. My first tank is a Fluval Evo 13.5. I really like the tank, my only regret I wish I went a little bigger. Maybe 20 to 30 gallon. But this is good for now to learn with, as I need to learn a lot more. Everything so far is running smoothly, at first I was overwhelmed with everything I needed to learn about this hobby, the more I read the more overwhelmed I got about how much I didn’t know and needed to learn. Just started introducing corals about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I eventually want to upgrade my stock light to an AI prime, and get rid of the stock lid maybe custom acrylic or diy mesh not sure yet. Here’s some pics of the progress so far one wen I started rock work and a updated picture of where I am today.
115fab02925f7b6c885e988cd7c1988a.jpg
3005650592986faf933ca42129f184c3.jpg

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

The best advice I have is to take your time, research, and any decision or purchase you rush... you will probably regret.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Rob ! Please consider no more live stock for a while . Let's your young tank catch up !

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I understand about going crazy and being overwhelmed.. I had tanks for years and then moved from Wi to Tx. All my critters were donated to a home that had a sensory tank for a child that is autistic. I packed up 90% of my setup and boxed it all away.. that was three years ago...
A couple weeks ago I was asked by my wife if I wanted to start up another tank.. ha silly question...

Now as I'm building the stand I keep remembering small thing that I need to get ready for... I am Google searching more then ever because stuff has either changed or I just plum right forgot.... This is going to be a fun journey for you.. just don't forget to breath, take it slow.. and if something is not working right.. this place has a lot of great people and answers!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I understand about going crazy and being overwhelmed.. I had tanks for years and then moved from Wi to Tx. All my critters were donated to a home that had a sensory tank for a child that is autistic. I packed up 90% of my setup and boxed it all away.. that was three years ago...
A couple weeks ago I was asked by my wife if I wanted to start up another tank.. ha silly question...

Now as I'm building the stand I keep remembering small thing that I need to get ready for... I am Google searching more then ever because stuff has either changed or I just plum right forgot.... This is going to be a fun journey for you.. just don't forget to breath, take it slow.. and if something is not working right.. this place has a lot of great people and answers!
I kind of feel the same way. Been out of the hobby for over 10 years. My wife and I started talking about doing a fish tank. Si we picked a spot in the house and I said "yeah! It looks like almost 300 gallons will fit there!" She was like "uh, how big is that?" Not too bad, I told her. Lol at least she is all excited about it now. Designed everything in cad. Showed her what the 280 gallon tank and wall unit will look like and well, it's a go! So I'm building it now. Like you, I have been researching because I have forgotten basically everything I have learned and technology and gear has changed so much. It's like I'm starting fresh again. Only I am taking a giant swan dive with a big tank! Wish me luck.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back