First Tank SC 150g - NYJumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so my tank is here. This is my very first tank and I am definitely over my head.

This will be my build thread and pics will be coming. Below is a list of items I have for the tank.

Tank: 150g 5' x 2' x 2'
Sump: 40" x 17" x 18"
Filter: Roller Mat
Skimmer: Skimz Monzter SM202
Heater: 2x Jager 300w
Pump: Ecotech M1
TopOff: Tunze osmolator
Controller: Neptune Apex
Lights: 4 Kessil 360w
Power Heads: None atm (will be 2x neptune wav)

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some gear shots

IAXb3h.jpg
kldsFB.jpg

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! Same size as my tank (also my first) which has just started cycling. I know what you mean about feeling in over your head ;) Plumbing and filling with water was daunting.

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea.. Did you fill it with tap water first to do a water test then drain it? Or did you fill it with RO to start and just take any possible chance of leaks?

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea.. Did you fill it with tap water first to do a water test then drain it? Or did you fill it with RO to start and just take any possible chance of leaks?

I filled it with tap water first and did leak test, then drained it. I had a couple of points in the plumbing that needed attention (notably a leaking bulk head), so happy I tested first.

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plumbing coming along... Main drain complete and return 3/4 complete. What is the best way to hook up to a eco M1?

ztEQgJ.jpg

w50Rf2.jpg

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it is coming along nicely just need to figure a way to hook up the M1 to my plumbing. I'm in Suffolk county (Deer Park)..

Haven't decided if i am going to fill it with tap water for a leak test... draining it will be a pain in the butt...

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it is coming along nicely just need to figure a way to hook up the M1 to my plumbing.

I hard plumbed mine using 1" pvc straight into the collar. You need to have all your measurements precise though or you might end up with the pump suspended off the bottom. I put a union just above the pump, fitted & glued the rest of the return line, glued the pvc into the lower half of the union and cut it slightly too long, then put the blue pump collar on the end. With the pump sitting in the sump and the rest of the plumbing fitted, slide the last piece in - the union and the collar both fit onto rubber O rings, so they should push into place tight. If the pvc is too long trim it a fraction, either file or cut it, and try it again. There's a pic in my build thread of the return plumbing.

Haven't decided if i am going to fill it with tap water for a leak test... draining it will be a pain in the butt...

Yes, draining the sump in particular was a pain, being floor level. I had to bail out the bottom cm by hand in each chamber. Wasn't fun, lol. The things we do. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok plumbing complete i ran out of fitting and needed to order some. placed the rock in the tank going to add a little more on the right side. will be putting just a little water in the over flow. the only place it is going to leak is the bulk heads if it is going to leak. And then going to fill her up.

MV4w6d.jpg

2UdJ0j.jpg

XLmEql.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shaweet! Bring on da water!!

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is taking forever to fill using the RODI unit... only half full 12hrs in... should be all salted up by the end of the weekend

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back