First Tank SC 150g - NYJumper

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't take more than a minute for it to be back to normal. It doesn't sound like the return pump is working right.

rvlcf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the pump working properly?

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i have the ATO sensor in the return pump chamber? i see that is where the water level is primarily the lowest before the sensor kicks in?

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo with all kessils installed

pqFYoh.jpg

tmnigat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did your stand? I recently ordered the SCA 150 and it's currently on its way. Can't wait :D

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not really sure what would be wrong with it... It pushes water very well.

I'm not sure how it can be pushing water well, but the tank won't refill. Is the issue that there isn't enough water in the system? The float switch should most definitely be in the return pump chamber, as that's where the evaporation is apparent.

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did your stand? I recently ordered the SCA 150 and it's currently on its way. Can't wait :D

The stand is custom from Steve actually based on my design. He outsourced it to a carpentry company. completely enclosed and the sides have doors. It is 36" tall to clear my couch and stained in a dark mahogany to match the rest of the room. Very modern was the key.

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I relocated the ATO sensor and it def. made a difference. My pump for my mixing station came in so I can finish that and booster pump for RODI. I installed that last night I can see a big dif in water creation. Twice the pressure went from 40 to 80

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should it take before i start registering some ammonia? I have been ghost feeding for a week. And im sure there is some die off from the dry live rock. Still pretty much registering 0 ppm.

also my roller mat is pulling all kinds of stuff out of of the water, it is already rolling around the empty roller. could this be hurting me? currently zero bio load other then ghost feeding.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you seed beneficial bacteria? Like Bio-Spira or Dr Tims? If so, you probably missed seeing the cycle.

The only real way to test it now is to pour pure ammonia in (the safe kind) and see how long it takes to cycle into nitrate and then out.

If the rollermat is pulling the food out of the water, then that definitely could be working against your ghost feeding.

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put a very small bottle of bio-spira. but my total water volume is between 180-200g would that little bottle even dent it?

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 more questions...

1) I am am burning through about 10 gallons a week in top off water, does this amount sound right?

2) My water has a slight yellow/orange tint to it, it is not completely clear. I just turned on the carbon reactor to see if that will clear it up. What could be causing this? Been that way from the beginning of the fill.

And about 2-3 weeks into cycle still no ammonia , nitrite , nitrate i have 2 pieces of shrimp so hopefully ill start to register some ammonia soon.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Yes
2) Carbon will handle it

2-3 weeks without ammonia, you probably blinked and missed it. That bio spira is awesome stuff. Only way to be sure is to dose ammonia and then test to see how long it takes to run the cycle. Just be sure to buy the right stuff.

OP
OP
nyjumper

nyjumper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of last night
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 ppm nitrate

Christmas weekend will be 1 month with the tank running would I be safe to start to add stuff at that point?

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, yes! I'd just go slow to allow the bacteria to adjust to the bioload.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back