kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @MICU murse !* Great start on your build thread.I love the shape of your aquarium.It looks so old school.

1472622406048.jpg

OP
OP
MICU murse

MICU murse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. Everybody has been so nice and informative, without all of the linked articles and advice I definitely wouldn't have been able get started. Currently cycling, just starting to see some nitrates. excited to see it when it's up and running.
Thank you all.

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just starting cycling my first tank. It's a 55 gallon tank with 25 lbs of dry live rock and a few pounds of live rock from my local pet store. I also have a bed of live sand and I have used a bacterial supplement as well. Assuming I will need an additional ammonia supply I plan to supplement with ghost feeds. Im totally new and ignorant to the process other than what I have read online (much of which I can happily say from here). Any pointers are always welcome, and I look forward to keeping up with the forum and hopefully seeing my new tank flourish.

Just out of curiosity, what was the bacteria supplement that you put in your tank?

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's continuum aquatics Bacter gen m. It's specifically for marine aquariums and (according the the label and LFS) used for establishing tanks or for heavy bio load tanks.

Just curious, I tried Biopira last time I cycled a tank. I was just wondering if you used it and how well it worked for you.

OP
OP
MICU murse

MICU murse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I tried Biopira last time I cycled a tank. I was just wondering if you used it and how well it worked for you.
It's my first tank so I don't have a lot of comparison. Nitrites still going up and I'm using an api ammonia test which I'm disinclined to believe, but the process did take off faster than I anticipated. I will try to keep posting updates and you know how long it takes me to fully cycle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back