First Time Cycling Dry Rock

Pacific North Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just about to begin the cycle of my rock in a Brute trash can, something I've not done yet. I have 30lbs of "dry live rock" (rock that was once dry but has been cured and cycled), from my lfs that's been sitting for 3 days boxed up, and another roughly 40lbs of dry Marco rock soaking in a Brute. Question I have is, will it be okay to put both the dry rock I have had soaking in RODI water with the cycled rock from the lfs that's been sitting in the box for 3 days into the saltwater, add the shrimp, add the bacteria?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be a good way to start the maturing process for your dry rock. I may hold off on the shrimp until the first several days of soaking in SW. There may be some die off from the LFS rock (if I correctly understand it's wet and "live") as that will cause enough ammonia to feed the nitrogen cycle.

OP
OP
Pacific North Reef

Pacific North Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be a good way to start the maturing process for your dry rock. I may hold off on the shrimp until the first several days of soaking in SW. There may be some die off from the LFS rock (if I correctly understand it's wet and "live") as that will cause enough ammonia to feed the nitrogen cycle.
Thanks for the help! The lfs had a couple of bins with dry rock cycling, some old recycled rock that had been cured and re-animated). It looked real clean, the bin was clean and the rock has some Coraline growing on it. It has been so long, I couldn't remember if I waited a couple days after the shrimp tail to add the bacteria (allowing for some decomposition/Ammonia to kick in for the bacteria to feed on). It seems all I find is to just add the bacteria from the start now-a-days.

OP
OP
Pacific North Reef

Pacific North Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the rock has been cycled/matured in the bin, will it need to be cycle again once in the tank? My plan was to do a 100% water change at the 2mo. mark when I transfer the rock to the tank, get a couple clowns and keep the lights off until the 4th month. At 2.5 -3 months I plan to add a couple more fish to help combat algae before I turn the lights on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back