First time going to a show/swap, Aquashella!!!

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to Aquashella this weekend and it is the first show/swap that I’m attending. Super pumped to go to this show, it looks like it is going to be a great time. We bought tickets for Saturday only but are planning on staying over night.

What is the best to keep the corals over night and then ok for the 4hr drive back home? Is it ok to keep the corals in the containers/bags over night in a well insulated cooler???

I listened to the ReefNewsNetwork podcast about swaps and they people walk around coolers. Do people really wheel coolers around the shows??? Would an insulated bag work instead of big cooler?

Do you guys have any Reef show/swap tips?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to Aquashella this weekend and it is the first show/swap that I’m attending. Super pumped to go to this show, it looks like it is going to be a great time. We bought tickets for Saturday only but are planning on staying over night.

I'm quite jealous, I probably won't make it. I'll be traveling from Arkansas to Door County, Wisconsin but I'll be busy during those two days. Never know, I could sneak off but even then, I'd have to find some way to hold corals for 2 days and get it thru TSA. lol.

What is the best to keep the corals over night and then ok for the 4hr drive back home? Is it ok to keep the corals in the containers/bags over night in a well insulated cooler???

Overnight is pretty simple, just keep it in a cooler/Styrofoam box in an area where the temperature is well regulated. I tend to travel to the bordering states and on the way to my location, I buy corals, hold them overnight and drive about 5 hours back the following day with no issues. Temperature should be your only major concern. Just make sure your bags aren't leaking and you have a sufficient amount of water in the bag. I always ask for a little more water, letting the vendor/store know, I'm from out of town.

I listened to the ReefNewsNetwork podcast about swaps and they people walk around coolers. Do people really wheel coolers around the shows??? Would an insulated bag work instead of big cooler?

Those who are looking for colonies, looking to bulk or group buy will generally bring coolers. A regular bag will do just fine. Just observe the temperature. I just use a city back pack that has like a mini cooler section.

Do you guys have any Reef show/swap tips?

Generally, it's best to know what your after. Make a list of what your for sure going to buy and what you may consider based on price. That way, you'll know what the average price is and what is a good deal at the swap. It would be awful to buy a 80.00 frogspawn at the swap, drive back home and the exact same species is only 20.00 at your LFS.

Also be mindful of how popular the corals your after are. If its a high demand one, it's best to not shop around too hard. Things at swaps get snagged up extremely quick. During my first couple frag swaps, the hot and popular stuff disappear fast, especially if it's price is just slightly lower than the average market price. You tell yourself your going to shop around and see if you can get a better deal but when you come back, it'll be gone and by the time you make it to the 3rd or 4th stand that has it, you'll be paying full price. If your after something hot/popular for your tank, don't shop around too much cause you'll regret it.

Stuff that isn't as popular, you can shop around for better prices.

The super rare stuff is going to expensive but I can tell you that you won't see those specimens online often. If your confident in your reefing skills, sometimes instead of buying a ton of average looking stuff, buying a solid extremely rare/unique piece is awesome. I never regret those pieces but once again they can be very pricey. Don't expect haggle prices to drop on those much if at all.

If you buy multiple pieces from one vendor, your likely to get better haggle prices. If you see one vendor with multiple pieces on your want list, you could save a lot more than individually buying the pieces from several vendors.

Have fun! Take lots of pictures for some of us who can't go!!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) bring CASH. Vendors dont like paying credit card processing fees nor reportable income. They'd rather slip the cash in their jeans pocket while giving you a deal

2) scope out what you like in corals as soon as you get there visiting ALL the booths and scanning quickly....but dont buy immediately. Found that gotta have coral? If you can wait until the last hour of the swap AND the coral is still there, you could possibly walk away buying it as much as 50% off. If vendor doesnt like the 50% off offer, ask what their bottom number is. They certainly DONT want to pack up corals that didnt sell. Their perfect day is selling 90% to 100% of their stock. The last hour they're tired and wanna get out of there with as little packing up as possible. They may make a deal they normally wouldn't do bc they're worn out and wanna leave....

3) don't let impulse buying overtake you.....unless it's a coral you've never seen before and not likely to see again. Even still PLAY IT COOL and act as if you're 50/50 about it. Make an offer. Any vendor who says their prices are locked and non negotiable are close minded vendors ....or the person you're dealing with has ZERO decision making power, kindly ask to speak to the person who will negotiate. If they still don't want negotiate then...well...flip over their lookdown tank while yelling "You want the truth? You can handle the truth!". HAHA Kidding kidding kidding.

Ive come home from many a swap with buyers remorse bc I let the excitement of the moment over take me. Cooooooool you're jets and think over every purchase.

Hth

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there! Definitely swing by the R2R AquaCrib! @revhtree, @revsgirl, @hybridazn and I will be there, and we'll have lots of cool stuff to give away. We'd love to meet you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back