First time reefer, did I overdosed Ammonia and messed up the cycle?

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I'm new to the salt water tank (been lurking around R2R for sometime), and have a few questions on how my cycle could possibly be going.

I'm on day 11 and these are the parameters I have as per Red Sea test kit (pic attached of days 1-11)
Ammonia over 2
Nitite 1
Nitrate 20

Tank is a 125G with dry Marco rock, and Caribsea live sand which were added around 5 days days prior to day 1.

Day 1 started with Dr. Tims One and Only and the Ammonia bottle called for 4 drops per gallon (based on 100G to account for rock and sand)
Day 3 another 4 drops per gallon were added.
Day 4 skimmer and UV light were turned on (Dr Tim's instruction called for 2 days, I figured I would give it an extra 2)
Day 10 I performed a 25G water change due to the high ammonia.

The Red Sea Ammonia test kit will only show me until 2ppm, and after day 7 the results were definitely darker than 2ppm. After doing a water change on day 10 the green definitely changed to a lighter green closer to the 2, but both Nitrite and Nitrates doubled.

I'm aware that this is the patience part, but I just want to know which way I'm heading and If I'm heading on the right direction, my questions are:

1. Did I overdosed the Ammonia and possibly stalled the cycle?
2. Should I perform another water change of another 25G?
3. Just seat back and let it run without touching it for hopefully another week or two?

I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge, and taking the time for your input.

IMG_0737.PNG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0735.JPG

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep leave it be, the bacteria in the tank will grow and take care of the ammonia for you. Yes patience is one of the hardest parts of the hobby IME.
Once your ammonia goes down to zero, then do a water changed based upon how high your nitrates are.

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the exact same thing with my tank, same test kits aswell, what I have found to my own research... is that the redsea kit test nh3 and nh4 which shows very high traces of ammonia which is what you dosed. If you use the sali test kit.. you'll test 0 ammonium.. which is what Tim suggests using. I chose to only dose once and have watched my tests over the past week and half and my ammonia levels are starting to drop according to red sea test and nitrites are starting to ride really high, then drop to nitrates daily.. it fluctuates which is the wait period of the cycle. Ride it out bud. It's coming.

OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I’m on day 16 of the cycle and as you all mentioned Ammonia started dropping rapidly the last three days.
These are the parameters now:

Ammonia .2
Nitrites way above 1 (it looks dark red)
Nitrate 50

Other things I noticed: PH slightly dropped to 8, Alkalinity also dropped two points to 6, skimmer is definitely collecting some skimmate, and the Marco rocks are a bit more yellow.

A few questions:
1. With those Nitrite and Nitrate levels should I do a water change now, and leave it for later when the Ammonia reaches 0?

2. When Ammonia reaches 0 should I dose some more Ammonia to see if it brings it down to 0 again in 24 hours to confirm the cycle is completed? If so how much should I dose? (Last time I did the 4 drops per gallon the bottle said but I think it was way too much)

3. Should I worry about the PH and Alkalinity drop now?

Thanks,

Attachments

• DB217997-1072-41FA-8F60-4223B6A8A04A.jpeg
    DB217997-1072-41FA-8F60-4223B6A8A04A.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 6BC52BF8-58C8-40E5-A09B-8FE676C04033.png
    6BC52BF8-58C8-40E5-A09B-8FE676C04033.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
RedG

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, Ammonia reached 0, nitrites and nitrate still high? Should I do I WC?

thanks

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back