First Time Refugium Setup

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in adding a refugium to my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2, and using it to house some pods. I currently have a Red Sea Skimmer in the back left chamber of my sump and am still using the Red Sea ATO reservoir that rests above the sump. If I wanted to add a refugium to the front left chamber of the sump, would copepods make their way into the tank via my return before getting sucked up by the skimmer? Or should I set up the refugium so that it is behind the skimmer, moving the skimmer to the front chamber?

Also, any recommendations for good quality equipment needed for the refugium would be great.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in adding a refugium to my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2, and using it to house some pods. I currently have a Red Sea Skimmer in the back left chamber of my sump and am still using the Red Sea ATO reservoir that rests above the sump. If I wanted to add a refugium to the front left chamber of the sump, would copepods make their way into the tank via my return before getting sucked up by the skimmer? Or should I set up the refugium so that it is behind the skimmer, moving the skimmer to the front chamber?

Also, any recommendations for good quality equipment needed for the refugium would be great.

if pods are your only reason for doing refugium, then make it even easier on yourself and find any tote or container left over/unused around the house. I do the lazy eazy banana peel/skin method of culturing pods:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back